Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses

• Twilightoptics
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Oct 2013 23:29 #610398 by Twilightoptics
Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses was created by Twilightoptics
Has anyone been successful in disassembling and reassembling the tach and speedo for access to the backside of the lens? Mine has some water spots/goo on the backside that really hinders visibility. Looks like the speedo and tach are band crimped together.

Any ideas vs buying replacements?

KZ650B circa '77.

Thanks,
-Paul

1977 KZ650-B1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2013 00:00 - 18 Oct 2013 00:00 #610404 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses
Here's some info that should help. If you decide to do this yourself remember - time and patience is your friend - don't rush. Ed

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...ories/90-gauge-clean

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 00:00 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twilightoptics

More
18 Oct 2013 00:02 #610406 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses
Here's a place that con do the gauges for you. Ed

zresto.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Twilightoptics
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2013 01:15 #610414 by Twilightoptics
Replied by Twilightoptics on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses
Perfect information! Thanks!

I figured it might be as easy as prying the ring back. I'm excited to get her road worthy, but patience must be had.

I waiting for some parts to come including a tach cable, if the tach doesn't work then I'll send it out. $95 isn't bad to have a gauge refurbished!

1977 KZ650-B1

More
18 Oct 2013 01:36 - 18 Oct 2013 01:37 #610417 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses
DIY option from earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 01:37 by Patton.

• Twilightoptics
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2013 02:02 #610422 by Twilightoptics
Certainly an easier way there. I've just never had luck with epoxy, specially something in tension.

1977 KZ650-B1

More
18 Oct 2013 10:03 - 18 Oct 2013 10:05 #610439 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses
It might be that the ring will retain its shape & fits somewhat snugly around the meter, so the JBWeld probably works as has been reported... or whatever epoxy you prefer. Permatex Liquid Metal is what I've used for doing a repair or two.

Alternatively, Z1Enterprises.com sells chrome gauge covers that have clamp rings. I think they're for the early KZs.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 10:05 by martin_csr.

More
18 Oct 2013 21:28 #610493 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses

Patton wrote: DIY option from earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

I've done this several years ago using JB Weld or PC7 and a hose clamp - let cure for 24 hours. Like apeman said re install so that the small gap in the band is in a location like 4, 5 or 6 o clock.
Works well.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Twilightoptics
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2013 22:25 #610498 by Twilightoptics
My band doesn't have the up dimples like the tech article showed. I cut the edge with a dremel cutoff wheel, and with a sharp box knife cut the band on the face sides. Made for a smaller kurf. Cleaned the lenses and covers now I'm letting them dry. Have to pick up a good epoxy to finish the job. Looks SO much better. I'll post some pictures here soon.

1977 KZ650-B1

More
19 Oct 2013 01:58 - 19 Oct 2013 01:59 #610508 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cleaning Speedo and Tach lenses

Twilightoptics wrote: Has anyone been successful in disassembling and reassembling the tach and speedo for access to the backside of the lens? Mine has some water spots/goo on the backside that really hinders visibility. Looks like the speedo and tach are band crimped together.

I wish the lenses were "screw off" so you could clean them. About 20 years ago a little spider went in my speedo and strung a web that caught the speedo needle at about 50 mph and it was stuck at that position for about 6 months. Eventually, the needle came free but the remnants of the web is still there. :angry:

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Oct 2013 01:59 by bountyhunter.