Restoring rt side controls...Help!!

More
04 Oct 2013 11:28 #608765 by tsidders
Restoring rt side controls...Help!! was created by tsidders
Im attempting to restore the right side switch housing as it was showing wear. Im having a problem getting the recessed lettering painted properly. I sandblasted the housing, resprayed with satin black(enamel rattle can) and using oil based sharpie fine line paint sticks to fill the letters. I am wiping the excess with a folded paper towel with a bit of thinner. The colored paint smears when wiping. What is the trick to getting the letters filled without the paint transferring to the black?
Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
04 Oct 2013 11:52 - 04 Oct 2013 12:06 #608766 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Restoring rt side controls...Help!!
Strip off the enamel! Pick up a rattle can of LACQUER Black...After housing is completely dry,(give it a day or two, if it doesn't smell, it's dry) you can fill letters with enamel paint/ gently wipe thinner over the laquered housing without messing it up. (old tee shirt, DAMP, (not dripping) with mineral spirits/naptha) The really cool thing is that the lacquer seems to go on in a thinner coat than enamel, thereby not "filling in" your lettering as much as the enamel did!
(edit) one further thought...due to your switch housing's proximity to the front master cylinder, great caution should be exercised when the cap is off the M/C (when servicing)...DOT 3 fluid WILL eat lacquer, as well as enamel!(edit) sorry, one more thing, save the housing some sandblasting wear, and use brake fluid to remove current paint....that is all,LOL!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 12:06 by Grumpy Ole Artist. Reason: Yet FURTHER info!

More
04 Oct 2013 13:17 #608771 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Restoring rt side controls...Help!!
I used these paints from Michaels craft shop. After I stripped and sprayed the housings black, I just dabbed the paint into the lettering and wiped off excess with a smooth, damp sponge. I actually cut the sponge into a wedge shape to make it easier. Only do one word at a time and ripe off excess immediately. Paint says it's dishwasher safe. Any white or yellow blotches can be covered up with black paint after it has all dried. Just spray a little paint into a cup and use a detail brush. Be very gentle as the thinners in the aerosol paint will soften the black base you already sprayed.

Another set I did

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
04 Oct 2013 14:28 #608778 by MTH76
Replied by MTH76 on topic Restoring rt side controls...Help!!
The trick is getting all of the old paint out of the lettering.
I did the same thing, thinking that sandblasting would remove it all.
The second time used paint stripper and a sharpened finishing nail to remove all of the paint.
That way it it will take plenty of the colored paint.
I used testors model paint, the small square bottles and a toothpick.
Makes for a nice job, don't forget to spray contact cleaner on your switches before you put them back together.
Good Luck!

1976 KZ900 1075 head ported,over-sized intake valves shim under bucket Z-4 cam motion cams 34mm RS carbs back cut trans GS1000 swing arm with 3.5" Sun rim MotoGPwerks stainless steel pipe

More
04 Oct 2013 18:54 - 04 Oct 2013 18:54 #608798 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restoring rt side controls...Help!!

Kidkawie wrote: I used these paints from Michaels craft shop. After I stripped and sprayed the housings black, I just dabbed the paint into the lettering and wiped off excess with a smooth, damp sponge. I actually cut the sponge into a wedge shape to make it easier. Only do one word at a time and ripe off excess immediately. Paint says it's dishwasher safe. Any white or yellow blotches can be covered up with black paint after it has all dried. Just spray a little paint into a cup and use a detail brush. Be very gentle as the thinners in the aerosol paint will soften the black base you already sprayed.

Those turned out REALLY great!!!
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 18:54 by 650ed.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Oct 2013 22:39 #608811 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Restoring rt side controls...Help!!

650ed wrote:

Kidkawie wrote: I used these paints from Michaels craft shop. After I stripped and sprayed the housings black, I just dabbed the paint into the lettering and wiped off excess with a smooth, damp sponge. I actually cut the sponge into a wedge shape to make it easier. Only do one word at a time and ripe off excess immediately. Paint says it's dishwasher safe. Any white or yellow blotches can be covered up with black paint after it has all dried. Just spray a little paint into a cup and use a detail brush. Be very gentle as the thinners in the aerosol paint will soften the black base you already sprayed.

Those turned out REALLY great!!!
Ed

Sweet! Look better than new, in your pictures.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...