Headlight housing extension sleeve?

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Oct 2013 22:17 #608700 by phillyman2633
Headlight housing extension sleeve? was created by phillyman2633
Hey guys,

OK so this is more of a "body" question but I thought it would get more views here :P So I recently bought off eBay a drop-in replacement kit for the headlight on my '82 KZ750N1 to turn the stock headlight into a HID. The kit came with ballast and a controller, all the wiring connectors were designed to hook right into the existing connections. I hooked up the kit and it works perfectly, but when I try to fit everything back into the headlight housing? Not even close. The crap that came with the kit is so damn bulky I'd need an extra inch in there at least.

I tried to contact the seller on eBay to see if he had any ideas but he didn't answer and the return period is up, so looks like I'm pretty much out $60. You'd think if it said "drop-in replacement" it would take into account the fact that I need some room to put the stuff in. The way the kit is set up, I don't have enough wire to run it back under the seat or gas tank without splicing the wire (which I don't think is a good idea when talking HID). So basically it either fits into the headlight housing or nowhere.

So basically my question to you guys is: has anyone ever heard of an extension sleeve for the headlight assembly that would give me the extra inch or 2 I need to fit all this stuff in there? Or am I SOL? If so I think I might want to buy an LED light to drop into the existing socket, maybe you guys could chime in as to how good they look, increase visibility, etc...(that's my main thing, I want to increase daytime visibility for myself)

Thanks!

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Oct 2013 22:33 #608705 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Headlight housing extension sleeve?
I don't know of an DOT legal LED headlight bulb.
As far as a head light bucket extension, well never seen one. But one could be made custom reasonably easy. I don't know what that might cost, but would think a bit if you want it to look good.
They have some higher output bulbs which go right into the H4 socket of the stock head light. Just be careful of the higher wattage, don't go up to far. They are Cheap to try out, like $10 or so. If you bike really vibrates they may not last long. Same with the HID, it might not like it if the bike has bad vibes.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 Oct 2013 23:03 #608713 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Headlight housing extension sleeve?
Can you mount some of the components either below, or above the headlight? You might have to fabricate wiring extensions, to make it work.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2013 17:23 #608790 by phillyman2633
Replied by phillyman2633 on topic Headlight housing extension sleeve?
I'm not sure about the wiring, some of it is pretty thin gauge stuff and I was told that you're not really supposed to splice wiring with a HID harness, but I'm not an electrician lol

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

More
04 Oct 2013 19:12 #608799 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Headlight housing extension sleeve?
I use a HID on my Concours and mounted the ballast remote of the headlight. Some pics may help us help you.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover