Starter not working! Please HELP!

More
30 Sep 2013 15:06 #608356 by Mousley
Replied by Mousley on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
OK so I touched the two terminals on the relay solenoid and it sparked.but that's all I did not see.or hear.anything

1982 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 15:30 #608360 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
If you shorted the right terminals, you just connected the battery straight to the starter. If you didn't get any response there are three (initial) possibiities:

- Starter motor is shot.
- Starter clutch is hosed.
- Engine is frozen.

Testing the first two (pretty much) requires removing the starter.

Testing the last one requires you to pull the point cover and turning the crank with a 17mm socket.

Before you buy a new starter, pull the one you have now and check the brushes. You may be able to rebuild it.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mousley

More
30 Sep 2013 16:12 #608368 by Mousley
Ok so once I get the starter motor out what should I be looking for and how do I test the different components? How will I know what can be rebuilt and what cant? Anything I should make sure I don't do when removing the starter motor? Thanks.

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Sep 2013 17:04 #608371 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
The factory service manual should have all of that information. MFolks usually comes to the rescue - no wait - he already did. The instructions for troubleshooting this are at the beginning of the thread.

As far as testing goes - connect 12 volts to the terminal and the ground and the starter should spin. After that, it's like repairing any other starter motor. The motor only does the one thing. If it doesn't spin when you apply voltage, the motor is dead. If it spins, it's at least mechanically viable.

If you're uncomfortable with this, you can just buy a new starter or send yours off to one of the many places around that rebuild old bike electronics.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
01 Oct 2013 02:19 #608437 by Mousley
Hey thanks everyone that responded to the topic :) I found out the problem and learned a whole lot about my bike. This would not have been possible without a forum like this and the people that use em. I called around to a couple shops just to get an idea of what they would charge just to tell me the problem and a lot of them had 75$ initial fee just to look at the bike :sick: The problem was the burnt bullet connector. Thanks again to all that helped!

1982 KZ 650