Starter not working! Please HELP!

More
30 Sep 2013 00:19 #608291 by Mousley
Starter not working! Please HELP! was created by Mousley
Hey everyone, I'm new to motorcycles and I have my first problem. I bought a 1982 kz650 and love it. The push starter died after a short trip to work two days ago and I had to roll down a hill and bump start it. The next morning I had a double at work so all I could do was check the battery and make sure the terminals were clean and tight. Everything checked out good. I don't have much expertise with electrical wires so I'm really starting to worry I wont be able to ride my new bike for some time.

Please guys and girls give me some direction on the First thing I should do and the things that should follow if the first thing does not work. Where should I start? I really want to fix this myself without taking it to a mechanic. Thanks in advance to anyone who can share some knowledge with this newbie. THANKS.

1982 KZ 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 00:49 #608293 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight. If the cables feel “Crunchy” when flexed, they may have corrosion inside the insulation, requiring replacement.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. Some websites for starter motor rebuild kits are:

A. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

B. www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

C. www.whitedogbikes.com/cat--Kawasaki-Star...-Starter-Motors.html

D. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starters.php

E. www.dbelectrical.com/

F. http://.www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mousley

More
30 Sep 2013 01:31 #608295 by Mousley
Replied by Mousley on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
Thank you so much for the quick response. I feel a bit better now having some direction to go in tomorrow morning. And thank you KZrider for having this forum.

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Sep 2013 08:47 #608311 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
When you say it doesn't work; please describe the symptoms. Does it sound like it tries to start the engine but doesn't quite turn it over fast enough (probably battery problem), or does it make a loud noise and not engage the engine (probable starter clutch problem), or does it make no sound at all (possible solenoid problem or user error). If it makes no sound as all are you pulling in the clutch lever when trying to start it? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
30 Sep 2013 10:31 #608318 by Mousley
It makes no sound at all 650ed. When I pop started it the switch did kill the engine though. my clutch safety had been taken off by the previous owner and the bike rode fine without it. Then this happened. I'm not even 100% sure where my starter motor is or the relay solenoid. I will be going to work on the bike in a hour so I will be checking this thread for updates and more help. Maybe someone can tell me where those parts are? Thanks.

1982 KZ 650

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
30 Sep 2013 10:57 #608320 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Starter not working! Please HELP!
I have a 78 650....On my bike, the solenoid is under the left side cover, the starter motor is under a chrome cover with two screws on top of the engine's crankcase. (Beneath the carbs)put it in neutral, and try arcing across the two large terminals on top of the solenoid with a screwdriver.

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
30 Sep 2013 11:21 #608325 by 650ed
Be sure to check the modification that the previous owner made to the clutch / start lockout. I am always suspicious of mods made by folks who may not really know what they are doing. Ed

More
30 Sep 2013 12:18 #608334 by Mousley
so I was looking around the fuse box and followed some wires and I found the white and red wire has been burnt within one of those plastic tube type pieces. Sorry for sounding so dumb but I'm not sure exactly what it is...maybe a fuse? I took a picture if anyone needs to see it.

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Sep 2013 12:26 #608335 by 650ed
The picture would help, but I suspect what you see is the clear plastic insulation over a "bullet" connector. Over time they can become brown, or they can burn a bit black looking if at some point the circuit was overloaded or the connector was a little loose and caused high resistance and got hot. Ed

More
30 Sep 2013 12:33 #608337 by Mousley
Well its the wire that comes out of my solenoid how can I go about fixing it? And yes it was definitely burnt and black, the whole plastic bullet cover is 75% black. I disconnected the bullet but I have not taken off the plastic yet. Let me know if you think this could be the issue and what to do. Thanks ed

1982 KZ 650

More
30 Sep 2013 13:21 #608343 by 650ed
According to the wiring diagram if the wire is red & white it between the solenoid and the regulator/rectifier. If it is damaged it should be repaired, but I don't see how that would prevent the starter from working. Did you try jumping the starter as Grumpy Ole Artist recommended? If that works, you know the starter itself is ok. If the starter is ok, there are several items that can prevent the starter button from firing the starter including the starter button, solenoid, wiring, and the mod the previous owner made.
Ed

More
30 Sep 2013 14:51 #608352 by Mousley
I thought I found the starter motor but I don't see any terminals. Ugh...

1982 KZ 650