At what point do I replace my starter?

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Sep 2013 21:19 #608156 by LuckyLucOnBass
At what point do I replace my starter? was created by LuckyLucOnBass
My 1983 kz550 m1 died a few weeks back. Opened up the starter and cleaned it to almost new looking. I also replaced the brushes. I have put on a new starter solenoid and a brand new battery. After all that, my bike did start up. I ran it for a minute or so. Killed it and tried again, this time with no result. All I'm getting is a click on the solenoid.

Last night I took out the starter and jumped it to a battery charger,... nothing. Off to work.
Today I tried it again. It spun freely this time. Popped it back in the bike,.... nothing. Off to lunch.
I just took out the starter again and jumped it back to the battery charger... nothing.

1. When I try to jump the solenoid posts, I get nothing. The starter should spin, right. Ignition is on.

2. When is it time to ditch a starter for a new/ rebuilt one? Like I said, I just put on new brushes last Wednesday.

3. Where can I get a reliable starter, if needed?

I miss riding. I had just topped off the tank when the starter died. And now gas is at $3.03 here. I'm definitely missing out.

Help and advice is welcome.

Thanks, guys.
LH

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2013 21:40 #608157 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic At what point do I replace my starter?
For used try eBay. For new contact these folks. Ed

www.motorcityreman.com/kaoe218.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LuckyLucOnBass

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2013 04:46 #608178 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic At what point do I replace my starter?
So I opened up my starter just to double check everything and found one brush spring a little loose. Fixed that, now my bike starts. Now I'm going through my carbs. Why not clean them just for reassurance, right?

Thanks for the link, btw.

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1