Headlamps blowing at high speeds.

More
27 Sep 2013 21:22 #608053 by nickjcoco
Replied by nickjcoco on topic Headlamps blowing at high speeds.
Perfect. Thanks Ed!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Cafe project/daily driver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
29 Sep 2013 09:50 #608190 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Headlamps blowing at high speeds.

nickjcoco wrote: I have had a handful of electrical issues with this bike. Mostly stemmed from my friend that I bought it off of. Amateur rewiring and a relocated ignition that has been the bane of my existence. 35 year old parts are probably also at play here. This forum has been a godsend. Thanks to everyone.

3 generations of bike wrenchers here and I was taught that when you take possession of a bike 10 years or older if you are going to work on it is to get some microfiles/brushes, contact cleaner and some dielectric grease and clean all electric terminals. Tighten loose ones, fix broken ones, re-tape, re-solder when not sure and you will reduce your headaches by 98%. Electric gremlins suck!

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco

More
01 Oct 2013 21:28 - 01 Oct 2013 21:29 #608506 by nickjcoco
Well I took the voltmeter to my battery as per the Service Manual's instructions. 12.3 V when idling, 14.5 V when @ 4,000 RPM. So this suggests (if I read this correctly) the regulator seems to be functioning as intended, yes? Which would lead me to believe that it may, in fact, just be road and bike vibrations mucking up my lights. I noticed that when these bulbs blow, the little filaments (spring looking jobbies) are actually just off of their mounts and bouncing around inside the bulb as if they were jostled loose somehow (maybe vibrations!). I'm going to get some good old fashioned motorcycle specific bulbs, add some new rubber to my headlight bucket, and cruise around for a bit to see if this remedies my issue. From that point forward, all I can think to do is carry a spelunker's helmet with me for night rides. B)

Edit: I should also mention I tested the dynamo as well just to be sure. All checked out.

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Last edit: 01 Oct 2013 21:29 by nickjcoco. Reason: Added information.

More
01 Oct 2013 21:36 - 01 Oct 2013 21:36 #608507 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlamps blowing at high speeds.
Yes, it sounds like the regulator is fine.

I've had good luck with Wagner headlights (see link). In the past I tried Sylvania and they seemed to blow out prematurely. I replaced the rubber dampers in the headlight ears and switched to Wagners and now the headlights last for a VERY long time (more than 6 years). I don't know if the improvement was due the the new dampers, the different headlight brand, or a combination, but I'm sticking with the Wagners. Ed

www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 01 Oct 2013 21:36 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco

More
01 Oct 2013 21:48 #608509 by nickjcoco
I appreciate the link. I've been scoping out new bulbs for a little bit after posting my last response and think I will take a shot on these Wagners you've suggested. Do you feel there is a benefit to sealed beam over other bulbs? Maybe some extra vibration resistance?

Regardless, bulbs and new dampers will be ordered tonight and tested ASAP.

As always, thank you!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
01 Oct 2013 22:05 #608511 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlamps blowing at high speeds.
In the past I used a Marchal H4 lens and bulb. When the Marchal bulb burned out I went through several different bulbs in that same lens, including a super bright 100w (high beam) one that was marked "For Off Road Use Only." That one drew too much power and I ended up cooking a connector, but man was it ever bright! None of the H4 bulbs lasted much more than 1 season. Also, the hot 100w bulb had sort of fried the reflective coating inside the Marchal lens, so when that bulb died I switched back to sealed beams. I don't know that the sealed beams are more vibration resistant than the H4 type, but at least when you do replace them you get the new reflective lens as part of the headlight, so you don't need to be concerned about an expensive lens deteriorating and needing to be replaced. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)