Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!

More
24 Sep 2013 20:34 #607640 by danwyke
Replied by danwyke on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
I stand corrected, sorry. I reread the manual and it does say it should be "at or near battery voltage at idle". This puts me back in the category that my charging system appears to be checking out okay? I didn't check to see what the maximum voltage is at higher rpm. According to the manual it should only go up to about 15V, if it goes higher the regulator may be defective. Barring that, I'm likely just drawing more than the system can produce. Does that sound like a fair assessment based on the diagnostics? Or am I missing something else? Is it worth pulling the starter to be sure it is not on it's last legs and drawing more current when hot?

'84 GPz1100 Powered, Custom Reverse Trike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 20:51 #607642 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
It's probably worth it, to pull the starter and see what condition the brushes and commutator are in. On some bikes, the carbon buildup can be enough to impact starter operation.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Sep 2013 21:07 #607644 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
If not already done (and using a standard wet-cell battery), would have the battery load-tested, for free at wherever new batteries are sold, such as Walmart, AutoZone, etc.

To prep for an accurate load-test --
Remove the battery; add distilled water if needed to prescribed levels; and charge overnight at 1~2 amps, so that the battery is in its best possible condition when load-tested.

Have the battery load-tested as soon as possible after removing it from the charger.

Could also perform a specific gravity test on each cell. The little floating ball eye-dropper test is okay, and cheap.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Sep 2013 22:22 #607656 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
Remember, you only have 20 amps to work with from the factory charging system. The Bikes stock electrical could easily draw 12. With the addition of Fans plural, you have added another 10+ for sure. Without seeing what you have there for fans and other equipment I can't say. Using an Amp Meter or Amp Clamp, you can measure the system. Or you can measure each component separately. But just a cheap, like $5 AMP meter will show you if you have more draw than charging current.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Sep 2013 22:38 #607659 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!

danwyke wrote: ... The one lingering issue I have is after a 20min+ drive the engine will not restart. After it cools off it fires right up so I'm fairly certain it's heat related and not a battery issue....

Such symptoms may result from insufficient valve clearances.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Sep 2013 17:17 - 27 Sep 2013 21:05 #608025 by danwyke
Replied by danwyke on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
Well, went for an even longer ride and I'm pretty sure I still have cooling issues. When I got back I tried to restart and once again the fuel pump was cycling and couldn't start (no surprise since all I did was remove my AFR meter). I figured I'd check to make sure it isn't the starter or the valve clearance issue Patton mentioned by hooking up some jumper cables to my car. Sure enough the fuel pump started working normally and the engine fired right up. The issue is I'm not real interested in sinking more money into this engine to beef up the charging system if I can't keep it cool enough.

'84 GPz1100 Powered, Custom Reverse Trike
Last edit: 27 Sep 2013 21:05 by Patton. Reason: delete solicitation

More
27 Sep 2013 17:24 #608029 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starter Issue? Hot Ignition Issue? Help!
So let's recap. You started with this:

Attachment 00001_2013-09-27.jpg not found

and ended up with ???? :blink:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: