Boosters VS Ignition Swap

More
14 Sep 2013 14:24 #606407 by nickjcoco
Boosters VS Ignition Swap was created by nickjcoco
I'm looking into improving or removing my points based ignition and considering an electronic substitute, but as I've found out the 78 twin doesn't have an aftermarket electronic ignition that I can come up with in a couple hours of Google searches. What I have found are a few alternatives such as converting with a newer model 750 ignition, using a 400/440 ignition, or using a booster.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is on this conversion and if I'd be better off with the booster or buying a Dyna-S 2 for a four cylinder and taking one of the pickups off to make it fit my twin.

I just had some down time at work last night and was doing some reading on the subject. It seems a pretty fair split between all of the options I've found. I'm sure there isn't one single concrete answer, but since everyone here has been super helpful so far I figured I'd shoot this question out there and see if maybe I missed a thread that answers this already.

Thanks!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Cafe project/daily driver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2013 18:17 #606428 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Boosters VS Ignition Swap
The factory ignition (750 twin or 440 twin) is more efficient than the Dyna S, but may cost more since the parts are rare. You can buy a broken Dyna S, as long as one of the circuits is working, so they tend to be the cheapest route if you can find one with a rotor. Just leave the non-working circuit disconnected.

Boosters work ok. You won't have to buy another set of points, but there will be some simple maintenance periodically to keep the points clean to work properly. (As long as you start with a new set, otherwise you will have to file and polish them to be reliable.)

If it were my bike, I would hold out for a 750/440 factory pickup and rotor and a new, 2.3 ohm factory coil (They may still be available.) But all of that won't be cheap. Probably close to $200 when is all said and done. I would make an HEI igniter, though. That is cheap, and effective (details in my signature.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco

More
15 Sep 2013 02:18 - 15 Sep 2013 02:21 #606484 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Boosters VS Ignition Swap
I have not seen a schematic on the DYNA booster, I assume it just replaces the points with a solid-state switch which means the points have very little current so they last almost forever. The booster also gives a faster switch current which boosts ignition voltage a little.

I think a booster is OK, but my own experience tells that to get the most improvement for little money is buying the 4 Ohm EMGO coil from Z1 Enterprises. I think it costs $36? Anyway, really boosted mine compared to stock coil. The old coils really dog out. Even if it still runs, the new coils are better.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 15 Sep 2013 02:21 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickjcoco

More
15 Sep 2013 17:21 #606551 by nickjcoco
Replied by nickjcoco on topic Boosters VS Ignition Swap
That sounds like a more reasonable way to go. Thanks!

1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Cafe project/daily driver