kz1000-P7 side stand safety switch wiring

More
10 Sep 2013 21:17 #605903 by jakedude
I just purchased a 1988 KZ1000-P7. Everything seems to work except the side stand safety switch. I have checked the switch and it works fine. The switch connects to a two wire connector. One wire, black/yellow, is ground. The other wire, orange/brown (or red/brown), is open. I'm assuming that that the orange/brown wire was cut by the police department that owned the bike. Before it was cut it looks like the stand position would toggle something from open to ground. I don't know what. I would direct wire the switch if I had a wiring diagram. Does anyone have a wiring diagram they are willing to share in a PM? Perhaps someone could simply tell me to connect the orange brown wire to X.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2013 22:10 #605914 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz1000-P7 side stand safety switch wiring

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Sep 2013 00:01 #605948 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic kz1000-P7 side stand safety switch wiring
No side stand switch in that wiring diagram. :( I think I need something in a late 80's or 90's for a wiring diagram.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2013 00:04 #605949 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz1000-P7 side stand safety switch wiring
Those wires would make a circuit connection, with the stand up. Open when down. If they are open, the bike will start and run in Neutral, or with clutch in. But will die when in gear and clutch released. So complete the two wire circuit and it is by-passed.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Sep 2013 11:11 #605998 by jakedude
I don't want to bypass the side stand safety switch. I would like it to work properly. I have other bikes that have a side stand safety and I have become rather dependent on it. So now I'm riding my new KZ1 and find occasionally that I take off with the stand down. Not good.

The wiring on this KZ1 has been messed with quite a bit. My understanding is that it is common that the police forces that used these bikes made many "custom" modification and then prior to selling the bikes removed most of those mods with wire cutters. As I went through the electrical system there were many wires connecting to 12V that simply went no where. The same with wires connected to ground. Also, there were several wires threaded through the frame that were cut on both ends. I have cleaned that up. From the harness perspective my electrical system looks almost exactly like the image posted by MFolks. My bike however has a side stand safety switch which is not show in the wiring diagram provided by MFolks.

My guess is I need to find the previous modification and then direct wire the safety switch back in to meet the bike's design.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2013 22:37 #606090 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic kz1000-P7 side stand safety switch wiring
The only diagram in File Base that is newer and with a side stand switch is this one: www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/514-kz750-p3-002
It may help you figure it out, how to hook it up correctly. My ZG Concours has one, and I bypassed it when it gave me problems.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 Jan 2014 15:47 #619008 by jakedude
I though I would just close this item out. I decided that the kick stand safety switch was an aftermarket item. I don't know were it was purchased or by whom. So based on that and my desired to have a kick stand safety I just spliced it in to the starter relay coil. The bike as designed has a similar switch on the clutch. So now the bike wont start if the kick stand is down. No the bike won't shut off if you put the kick stand down but that is okay with me.