Left and Right sparkplug cables?

More
03 Sep 2013 21:18 #604702 by stmats
Left and Right sparkplug cables? was created by stmats
Please forgive this newbie question... I'm finally getting some work done on my 1983 KZ440 LTD. Among other things, I've finally gotten the coil installed and I'm puzzling over which coil lead goes to which cylinder. The leads for the sparkplug cables are one above the other, rather than side by side so there isn't an intuitive way to establish which lead goes to which side. I've combed through the manual, I seem to be missing something. :unsure: Any help is appreciated.

I've cranked the bike over and have spark from each plug and they seem to fire at the same time. Lost spark system?

I like old things. I like fast things. I like old fast things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2013 21:26 #604703 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Left and Right sparkplug cables?
Yes, it uses the lost spark method, so it shouldn't matter which plug wire goes to which plug since both plugs will fire at the same time. If you want to keep it looking the way it originally was equipped, take a look at the diagram below and you can see how the wires are oriented relative to the front of the bike. Ed

Attachment 00001_2013-09-03.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stmats

More
03 Sep 2013 21:33 #604707 by stmats
Replied by stmats on topic Left and Right sparkplug cables?
Thanks for the diagram and the info. My coil looks different than that, but it sounds like it doesn't matter which plug goes onto which cylinder.

Thanks again.

More
04 Sep 2013 08:50 - 04 Sep 2013 08:51 #604756 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Left and Right sparkplug cables?
It doesn't matter. They both spark at the same time.
Attached is an image of the 83 440-A4 chain drive ignition stuff. The D5 Ltd-Belt is the same.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 08:51 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stmats

More
04 Sep 2013 13:43 #604786 by stmats
Replied by stmats on topic Left and Right sparkplug cables?
Thanks for attachment. Next time I'll check the fiches from Partzilla. I'd been looking at Ron Ayers and Bikebandit for the parts fiche and neither have the kz4440 :(

More
04 Sep 2013 17:31 #604826 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Left and Right sparkplug cables?
The diagram I posted is from Kawasaki.com. You may want to visit that site too.

If you go to Kawasaki.com on left side put cursor over "Owner Information" then on drop down menu click on "Parts Diagrams." The click "Continue" next to "Motorcycles" and click on model/year/etc. on drop down. Once you get the list of parts for your bike you can click on the category of parts - such as "Air Cleaner" and you will see a diagram of all the parts for that category. Then when you click on an actual part number on the list under the diagram it will say if the Item Status is "Active." If it is “Active” Kawasaki still sells the part through dealers. Also, at that little page you can click on the yellow highlighted question mark for a cross reference of which bikes share that part or click on the red highlighted S to see earlier part numbers for the same part. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61, nickjcoco