how to get rid of my battery

More
02 Sep 2013 16:25 #604500 by 78KZkid
how to get rid of my battery was created by 78KZkid
I want to remove the battery from.my bike completely and just use the kick start

1978 kz650
The following user(s) said Thank You: nickleo373

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2013 13:36 - 03 Sep 2013 13:43 #604615 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic how to get rid of my battery
Some bikes can, and some bikes can't. Depends on the charging system, and depends a little on the ignition system.

Put your bikes model and year in your signature so we know what bike you have.

The photo looks like a KZ650 C. If it's a 78, then it's a KZ650C2.

That would have the correct type of charging system (a 77 KZ650C1 does not). As long as the ignition is stock, and not a Dyna S, you will have a good chance of it working without the battery.

Simply replace the battery with a 5000 to 10,000 micro-farad (uF), 50-volt, capacitor.

Then have a way to turn all of the lights and gauges off with a toggle. THe bike won't start with the lights on.

After it starts, you give it a little rev, and turn the lights on.

Before you do this mod, make sure the bike can usually start on one kick.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2013 13:43 by loudhvx.

More
03 Sep 2013 15:05 #604633 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic how to get rid of my battery
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.
If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do. Here's how:

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2013 16:38 #604655 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic how to get rid of my battery
I would think you would need to add some kind of giant capacitor if you remove the battery. Otherwise you will be getting horrendous voltage spikes on the system that can blow bulbs and coils and most electrical components.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Sep 2013 18:22 #604687 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic how to get rid of my battery

bountyhunter wrote: I would think you would need to add some kind of giant capacitor if you remove the battery. Otherwise you will be getting horrendous voltage spikes on the system that can blow bulbs and coils and most electrical components.

loudhvx wrote: ... replace the battery with a 5000 to 10,000 micro-farad (uF), 50-volt, capacitor...

It kind of depends on the ignition, but those above values generally tend to work for most applications. I've even used 12,000 uF caps. If you go way too big, obviously one kick may not be enough to charge the cap. Way too small starts to have too much ripple and will affect the regulator.

Incidently, for anyone reading this, if the regulator has a dedicated sense line (usually brown, on KZ's), that sense line must be hard-wired to the output of the rectifier so it always senses the output voltage. Otherwise you will lose regulation if you shut the bike off for some reason while coasting in gear. That can pop the capacitor and/or other electrical components. (This is not a big problem when running a battery because the battery can absorb the excess energy for a short duration.)