Dyna S and Coil Installation

More
27 Aug 2013 21:57 #603412 by Hoodftw
Dyna S and Coil Installation was created by Hoodftw
I've done many searches and haven't found the answer I'm looking for, so here goes.

I'm installing the dyna S ignition and understand that it replaces the IC Igniter so I can remove that. It looks like a PO has been in there before because some of the wiring from the igniter into the wiring harness have heat shrink and some of the wires look like braided insulation. Question 1: Do I just cut and solder on the wiring harness side of the automotive connection? Or should I retain that connection for ease of removal in the future? This is a picture of the wires going from the IC Igniter and that plug would plug into the harness to reach the coils.

Attachment photo-1copy.JPG not found

Also, mounting the coils. I've read on here about troubles because the Dyna coils don't really fit the stock mount and was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than I can foresee any problems from the way I have done it.

Attachment photo-1.JPG not found

Thanks.

1980 KZ750 LTD
1980 KZ1000 LTD
1997 VLX 600
New Orleans LA
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
27 Aug 2013 22:09 #603417 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Dyna S and Coil Installation
The Dyna S comes pre terminated in bullet connectors. Snip off the IC connector and use bullet connectors, or re use the IC connector, or hardwire it in, do whatever you want. KZ's use non weatherpack terminals so they usually aren't in great shape. I used bullet connectors covered in heat shrink.

Mount the coils so the primary wires won't short out, that's all that matters.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

More
27 Aug 2013 23:55 - 28 Aug 2013 00:00 #603433 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Dyna S and Coil Installation

Hoodftw wrote: Also, mounting the coils. I've read on here about troubles because the Dyna coils don't really fit the stock mount and was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than I can foresee any problems from the way I have done it.

Thanks.

Have you tried installing the tank yet? My guess is that the coils will be in the way. Some guys attach L angle brackets to the coil brackets (2 per side). I made L's from 1-1/2 aluminum angle bar (1 per side - seems stronger). Below is a photo of my first crude prototype. I offset the holes to gain better clearance & I have the plug wire towers facing towards the rear.

Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 00:00 by martin_csr.

More
28 Aug 2013 11:46 #603502 by Hoodftw
Replied by Hoodftw on topic Dyna S and Coil Installation
Of course the tank didn't clear them hahaha. Just barely though. I tried installing the coils earlier with some corner brackets but it just seems like it sits so low and will be a hard turn to make for some of the spark plug wires. I'll go back with that set up and see how it works out.

Attachment photo-1copy2.JPG not found

1980 KZ750 LTD
1980 KZ1000 LTD
1997 VLX 600
New Orleans LA
Attachments:

More
28 Aug 2013 11:49 #603503 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Dyna S and Coil Installation
You could use spacers & longer bolts to raise the coils.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hoodftw