Shorai batteries

More
20 Jun 2014 20:42 #637350 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Shorai batteries
I've had on for going on four years now with no issues. Never have I put a tender on it. These batteries don't drain like the other batteries do over time. Even with the fiberglass mat or gel cells I never used a tender. I have always taken battery out before it got cold and kept it warm. Lasted me for five years. These batteries are supposed to go twice that. Let's see. So far incredible. I know that the older bikes charging is not as consistent as the newer bikes so I hope that what I have works well. If not... At any rate looking forward to seeing how mine does in my older bikes. Yes, I liked it so much I bought one for my ltd and share it with the z1r. Probably a bad rectifier. I will keep you all posted as to my battery life with my z's. I know they need a special charger to keep them tended.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2014 23:38 #638414 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Shorai batteries
In the last two years I've ridden my 750 twin three times. Those were the only times the bike was started over that two years. Started it up last week for the first time this year. No muss, no fuss, no battery tender, just turn on the key and hit the button.

Oh yeah, the battery sat on the bench for a year after I bought it, and I've never put any kind of charger on it. So the battery is a little over three years old.

I like it, got another for my ZX11, and need to get two more for my ZX12 (24V start).

KD9JUR

More
30 Jun 2014 13:20 #638475 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shorai batteries
The very low self discharge rate of the Li Fe PO4 battery is one of it's advantages:

2. SELF-DISCHARGE RATE

Typical self-discharge rate of LiFePO4 battery is less than 2% monthly. More than that could be classified as under quality cell.

At 2%/month, that means it only drops about 24% in a year. Their big disadvantage is that they are more sensitive to charge voltage. If they work in your bike, you probably will get very good service. But as a lot of posts indicate, some people see them die quickly and the replacements do likewise.

1979 KZ-750 Twin