• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
26 Aug 2013 10:20 #603116 by david-b
Warning Light - Battery was created by david-b
Hey everyone;
Did some riding this weekend and the bike constantly has the warning light flashing with the battery light flashing. The battery is a year old, is fully charged and been running fine for the past month or so. When I press the "voltage" button while riding, it shows about 12v which I know is a little low for charging. Shouldn't it be more in the 13-14v range? It really has had no issues though electrically. Turn it on and off constantly with the headlight on and it will run all day.

Since the bike was kind of hacked up when I got it (including wiring), do you think it's possible that it's charging but it doesn't "know" due to the wiring or maybe the alternator itself is just bad?

Also, are there any wiring diagrams out there showing the charging circuit with the wire colors? Really want tot follow all them and see where it's all going.

Thanks!

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2013 12:05 - 26 Aug 2013 12:07 #603130 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Warning Light - Battery
Wiring diagrams. Here's a site w a manual & wiring diagrams.
Scroll down & click "The Bible" link. mbsween.bike-night KZ750L3 page
I guess your bike is the R1?

Note: some of the wiring diagrams are mislabeled in the links. The 1981 Ltd is an H2 & the 1982 Ltd is an H3.
search tags mbsween KZ750L3
Last edit: 26 Aug 2013 12:07 by martin_csr.

More
26 Aug 2013 12:48 #603135 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Warning Light - Battery
If it's showing 12v when riding there is a problem. The voltage regulator should let the voltage charge at about 14.5v to just under 15v. It should reach 14.5 at 1600-2000 rpm. If you have the manual it should have details on how to run diagnostics on the various charging system components. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
26 Aug 2013 19:00 #603200 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Warning Light - Battery
If it is really the battery warning, it means the sensor in the battery is not in the battery acid. Sometimes they pop out, and that will cause the flashing. But usually it means the acid level is too low. Check the battery fluid level.

If the previous owner bypassed it, as many did, then he would have connected it to a voltage source. Maybe that has come undone. To make it stop flashing, connect the sensor to a switched voltage source.

• david-b
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I am THAT guy
More
27 Aug 2013 10:12 #603316 by david-b
Replied by david-b on topic Warning Light - Battery
I looked at the manual and seen that there is in fact, supposed to be a sensor in the battery which I have never seen on this bike. So I went to dig through the wiring and see if I can find something that would look similar, I came across a wire that was just hanging and a little Fuse box. Could tell when I opened the box that had the fuse in it, that the wire clearly came from there. When I reconnected the wire to the fuse, the light went out and never came back on.

Loudhvx, do you know what color that sensor wire is? I want to make sure that the one connected is the right one. Manual doesn't have the color(s).

It still bothers me however that the charge is still low. Would low acid levels cause it to not charge as well?

Thanks!

/Dave

2013 Chevy Sonic LT 1.4L Turbo
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H3 LTD
1975 Monte Carlo 400sbc

More
27 Aug 2013 18:27 - 27 Aug 2013 18:35 #603376 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Warning Light - Battery
On the 550's, the acid level wire was usually pink. I don't think it went directly to a fuse, though, so maybe the previous owner made some changes.

I'll see if I can find a diagram for your bike.
I'm looking at this one in the filebase. I don't know if that is your bike, though. Put your actual KZ designation model in your signature. There are multiple models that use the Gpz marketing name.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/cat_view/102-19...6-kawasaki-kz-750-r1

But on that diagram, the acid-level wire is pink, and that wire goes from the battery directly to the gauge cluster with no other branches to fuses or anywhere else. Maybe the previous owne connected the pink wire to the accessory fuse box to tap 12v from it?
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 18:35 by loudhvx.