Odometer disassembly?

More
12 Aug 2013 00:37 #600955 by Shdwdrgn
Odometer disassembly? was created by Shdwdrgn
I don't know what happened to it, but the odometer housing on this bike looks like it melted, so I'm watching ebay for a suitable replacement. This got me to wondering, can these units be taken apart, or are they factory-sealed?

The one I'm looking at now has dirt behind the glass, and I would like to swap the original odometer unit into the new case to correctly show original miles. However I am also swapping over to an LTD wiring harness, which includes the turn-signal cancelling, and has a different plug on the odometer... so I really don't know what I'm in for here, or if I'll just have to settle for an incorrect odometer?

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2013 02:52 #600965 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Odometer disassembly?
From the research I found the ring around the Speedo is crimped on. I know there are guys that rebuild them but its spendy. Removing and reinstalling that ring will be your biggest challange.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
12 Aug 2013 15:40 #601034 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Odometer disassembly?
My odometer is a separate unit from the speedometer. Apparently that makes things MUCH easier for me. I had a few moments before work this morning, and popped off the odometer. The housing seems to be held together by a couple screws and some black silicon, so it came apart easily. From what I could see, there is a single screw holding down a bracket that supports the odometer wheels, and it should be pretty simple to pull out my original wheels and place them into a new unit.

Actually I'm more concerned that there doesn't seem to be a security strip on this odometer like I've seen on the ones from my cars, making me wonder if this one has been changed. It only reads 14k original miles, and the title gives no indication of recorded mileage, so who knows what the bike really has? On the other hand, I can see this being a reasonable reading, since my 1981 Yamaha has less than 20k original miles (half of which I put on myself).

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics of the guts of this thing after I get home tonight, in case anyone else comes by with the same question.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
12 Aug 2013 15:42 #601035 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Odometer disassembly?
I would contact Z resto and see if they can help. Read my post on restored gages though to be aware of potential problems with them.

The ring which holds the gauge together is crimped on.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
12 Aug 2013 15:59 #601037 by Shdwdrgn
For reference, this is the type of odometer I have...

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
12 Aug 2013 16:23 #601039 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Odometer disassembly?
The front wheel drives the speedometer. What drives that odometer?

AFA it being changed, I doubt anyone would have gone to the trouble of taking it apart and changing it.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
12 Aug 2013 16:29 #601040 by Shdwdrgn
koolaid_kid -- would you believe its electronic? It is probably getting a signal from the speedo, but the odometer is driven by a stepper motor.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Aug 2013 20:43 #601074 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Odometer disassembly?
The Tach and speedo are the same as the 81-83 LTD, and A1/3 shafty. But the Odo looks different. Nearly the same but not. Maybe the internals are the same?
As far as taking it apart. It would be sealed, you might be able to cut it apart with a razor/ hot knife. Then reglue it to seal it. They only used it on your model for 3 years.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Aug 2013 00:14 - 13 Aug 2013 00:16 #601155 by Shdwdrgn
As promised, photos of the odometer internals. Nothing much needed to pry the case open -- it felt like a thin layer of black silicon being pulled apart... A little time and a small flat-blade screwdriver were all I needed. Note that this is from the standard model, and does not contain the sensor that turns off the turn signals.

The case laid open

The shiny cylinder on the right side is the stepper motor that advances the odometer

Removing the small screw in the center will free the plate on the left side of the dials. It looks like they will just fall right out.

The two screws visible on the back of the case actually hold the odometer to the back panel. They do not need to be removed in order to pry the case apart.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
Last edit: 13 Aug 2013 00:16 by Shdwdrgn.