Many Issues Need Help Please

More
09 Aug 2013 23:52 #600646 by puddinglord
Many Issues Need Help Please was created by puddinglord
Hello all!

I know that I am new to this forum and hope to make some friends along in this journey that I have now undertaken. I have just bought myself a 1982 Kawasaki LTD 440. When I purchased it from the owner it started up good and ran but he then talked about the problems that it had. One of them is the negative wire running from the battery. The end tip where it connects to the battery is broken and then halfway up the wire it is frayed. He drove the bike all the way to my house and it was a 30 min drive and it ran fine. Now the bike sounds like it wants to start but can't and if I keep trying and jiggle the wire then it will make a "Buzzing" sound. Could I possibly use a car neg wire to fix this or do i need the original part. Do I need to charge the battery also? Or do I need a new battery? It looks new its just that it makes that buzzing sound after a while.

The next thing and It might not go in electrical is the clutch. The clutch works fine but he said that it goes out too far and the cable that tells the engine that the clutch is engaged is not working properly so you have to hold the clutch down slightly so it wont stall. If you let the clutch out all the way then it will stall slowly.

Another problem is the lights will dim every time the clutch is pulled in to shift. Could this be because of the bad neg wire on the battery?

Final problem I notice is that the horn doesn't work and the turn signal switch is really hard to move from side to side and is stuck on the left and the left blinker stays on when the clutch is pulled in but not when let out like with all the lights. Also the back blinkers don't work at all but the brake light does.

Are these complicated fixes or do you think I could do them myself? Also will this be costly to fix? Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! ~Dakotah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Aug 2013 23:57 #600648 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Many Issues Need Help Please
First fix the Battery connection/s. Make sure both of the battery cables have good ends, and a re tight to the battery. Charge the battery with a low amperage charger, like 2 amps.
Then see what happens. You need the complete circuit of the battery hooked up.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Aug 2013 00:01 #600650 by puddinglord
Replied by puddinglord on topic Many Issues Need Help Please
Ok do I need the original neg wire? or can I use a car one.

More
10 Aug 2013 00:02 #600651 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Many Issues Need Help Please

Motor Head wrote: First fix the Battery connection/s. Make sure both of the battery cables have good ends, and a re tight to the battery. Charge the battery with a low amperage charger, like 2 amps.
Then see what happens. You need the complete circuit of the battery hooked up.

+1

Fixing the cables and ensuring the battery is in good condition and properly charged should be your first priority. Also, do not jump start the bike from a battery charger or a running vehicle as this can damage the bike's electrical system. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Aug 2013 00:05 #600653 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Many Issues Need Help Please

puddinglord wrote: Ok do I need the original neg wire? or can I use a car one.

Match up the diameter, or use a slightly larger diameter cable/ wire. Any of the parts stores should be able to hook you up with a cable, ends or a pre-made cable. Rolls of wire, connectors etc. For making the basic battery connections. Some of the other bikes electrical have more bike specific connectors.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Aug 2013 00:07 #600654 by puddinglord
Replied by puddinglord on topic Many Issues Need Help Please
Thanks Ed and I wouldn't jump start it anyway but thanks for the tip now what about what I can use for the wire.

More
10 Aug 2013 00:34 - 10 Aug 2013 00:34 #600655 by 650ed
As Motor Head mentioned, you can make one or have one made. Take the old one with you when you buy wire and get a piece slightly heavier and quality connectors for the ends. Ed

Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 00:34 by 650ed.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
10 Aug 2013 08:05 #600662 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Many Issues Need Help Please
Hunh, some heavyweight advice in a supportive tone for polite newb. B)
Awesome.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
10 Aug 2013 08:15 #600663 by uncle nick
Replied by uncle nick on topic Many Issues Need Help Please

puddinglord wrote: Final problem I notice is that the horn doesn't work and the turn signal switch is really hard to move from side to side and is stuck on the left and the left blinker stays on when the clutch is pulled in but not when let out like with all the lights. Also the back blinkers don't work at all but the brake light does.
Thanks! ~Dakotah

Try spraying the switch with WD40 or similar, that should help it free off and clean the contacts inside.

1981 KZ650 CSR

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
10 Aug 2013 08:27 #600665 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Many Issues Need Help Please
I really really want Uncle Nick's advice to work.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
10 Aug 2013 11:17 - 10 Aug 2013 11:22 #600678 by 650ed

uncle nick wrote:

puddinglord wrote: Final problem I notice is that the horn doesn't work and the turn signal switch is really hard to move from side to side and is stuck on the left and the left blinker stays on when the clutch is pulled in but not when let out like with all the lights. Also the back blinkers don't work at all but the brake light does.
Thanks! ~Dakotah

Try spraying the switch with WD40 or similar, that should help it free off and clean the contacts inside.

WAIT! Do not use WD40 on contacts! Do yourself a favor and read the following poting paying special attention to the last 1/3 of the text. MFolks knows what he is talking about. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/590418-83...-now-dead-bat#600211

Last edit: 10 Aug 2013 11:22 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MFolks

More
11 Aug 2013 03:22 #600791 by uncle nick
Replied by uncle nick on topic Many Issues Need Help Please

650ed wrote:

uncle nick wrote:

Thanks! ~Dakotah

WAIT! Do not use WD40 on contacts! Do yourself a favor and read the following poting paying special attention to the last 1/3 of the text. MFolks knows what he is talking about. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/590418-83...-now-dead-bat#600211

That's an interesting thread. I wonder if we get a different formula WD40 to you but over here I've never heard of anything said against spraying WD40 into switches and the like.

I have always used it on all my bikes with absolutely no problems, ignition switch especially as it stops them freezing up in winter.

1981 KZ650 CSR