Could I have a bad ignition switch?

More
09 Aug 2013 19:54 #600629 by pnedac
Could I have a bad ignition switch? was created by pnedac
I am rebuilding a 78KZ650B from the dead and I am going pretty good but I need a little help understanding a wiring issue.

The blue wire in the ignition switch (when you turn the key thus sending power to it) has a VERY weak reading compared to the other wires/components. So weak that it barely makes the test light turn on (the test light looks like it was the first lightbulb ever invented). All the other wires get full juice when you turn the key except this one wire.

Would it be safe to assume the ignition switch needs to be changed out?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. This wire is the one that also goes and branches out to the fuses and to pretty much all the lights in the gauge clusters and all.

Thank you for any input.

Pnedac

78 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Aug 2013 22:27 #600638 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Could I have a bad ignition switch?
Have a look here in "File Base"
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/290-z650b2-c2
You will see that the Blue wire at the switch is feed from the fuse panel. The Brown and white wire comes from the head light switch, which is feed by the brown, which comes from the ignition again. So somewhere you have a voltage drop. if the brown is 12v +, but the blue is low. Look at each connection along the way. Fuses would be my guess, or handdlebar switch.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
09 Aug 2013 23:21 #600641 by pnedac
Replied by pnedac on topic Could I have a bad ignition switch?
Thank you. I have full power to/from the brown which leads me back to the blue. I would have to add that this bike appears to have been sitting outside in the mountains for a good solid decade at minimum. That said there is ample reason to believe that water/snow/dirt had a chance to get into all sorts of places where it had no business. I have been going along with the build really well up until this point. There are no blown fuses and I was even thinking about going with blade type fuses to "upgrade" as it has been helpful with other builds, but I am not quite there yet.

Thanks again and I will do some more checking.

78 KZ650 B

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Aug 2013 23:26 #600642 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Could I have a bad ignition switch?
If that sat outside for a long time, each and every switch and connection will need cleaning. You could have a problem with a splice in a harness even. But first start with what you know doesn't work. It could be just a bad connection at the fuse panel. Upgrading to the ATO style fuse is really a good way to go.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...