Charging system upgrade?

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
31 Jul 2013 17:06 #599257 by hill
Charging system upgrade? was created by hill
Hello all,Ive got a kz1000 that I've upgraded the suspension,brakes,& lighting.I notice that my charging system doesn't start charging till around 3000 rpm & maxes around 4000.My headlights are not as bright as they should be,on high beam.Also my signals won't flash if battery isn't charged good.Does anyone know a way to make this old system charge at a lower rpm range?Any help is much apreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Divadg123
  • User
  • 83 Kz750 k1 ltd Belt
More
31 Jul 2013 17:14 #599260 by Divadg123
Replied by Divadg123 on topic Charging system upgrade?
I am considering modifying my lighting systems, and most likely be running into the same problem, so I am going to subscribe to this thread, and if I find anything I will let you know!

Just keep asking why, and eventually you will understand.

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
31 Jul 2013 17:31 #599262 by hill
Replied by hill on topic Charging system upgrade?
The bulbs I'm running are off a buell lightning.There h7 55watts.The low beam alone is 3 times brighter than the original kz.When I turn on the other light they don't get brighter,& a more yellow tint.I just got some of those hid kits,there only 35watts.I may try running a little trickle charger all the time.

More
31 Jul 2013 17:31 #599263 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Charging system upgrade?
Go to www.electrosport.com as they make overwound stators that will charge at lower rpm's. You should replace the regulator/rectifier too. as they start to lose the ability to function after a few years. Electrosport and other websites sell good replacements:

Stators, Regulators & Rectifiers
www.rmstator.com
store.prestoliteperformance.com/accel-mc...z1000-1100-1300.html
Kawasaki 77/78 1000A. www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...tId=&mmyId=10274
Kawasaki 79 1000ST.
www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...atId=&mmyId=1656
www.customrewind.com (They can rebuild your stator for you).
www.regulatorrectifier.com
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com (not sure they have stators)
www.accel-motorcycle.com/
www.tpe-usa.com/ (Tim Parrott Enterprises)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 Jul 2013 17:44 - 31 Jul 2013 17:46 #599269 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Charging system upgrade?
If it was anything like mine, I noticed i had a charging problem similar to yours. But i found that mine was only charging on two legs of the stator and then when the second one went out it wasnt enough to do anything. I purchased a stator from elctrosport as suggested by mfolks. They do make a great stator. I have been real happy with it after it all got settled. My bike is a 80 with mk11 style stator which is diffrent then the earlier KZs. So they had problem finding me the right stator. Took all together little less than a month to get it all straightened out. I had to end up sending mine to them. Then they tried to tell me it was off a kz750. Well turns out there the same i guess, cuz it bolted right up but i had to cut the wires and install the correct oil seal and solder them back. But now i realize how bad my stator wasnt charging. All my lights are real bright now. It also would really wing the engine over with the starter. But now not so much. Now its struggles to start with the starter, now that the new motor is in.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 17:46 by Powerstroke_fan.

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
31 Jul 2013 18:15 #599277 by hill
I'm going to order a regulator/rectifier from electrosport.I didn't see any broken winding in the stator.Ive had them break before.I prob shouldn't be cheap,but I can always get the stator.I'll post the results.

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
31 Jul 2013 18:26 #599280 by hill
Power stroke fan,did you use the stock advancer with the springs on your ignition.

More
31 Jul 2013 18:39 - 31 Jul 2013 18:43 #599282 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Charging system upgrade?
I did. But the dyna ignition was already installed when i bought the bike years ago. But since mines a 80 it should of came with a electronic ignition factory. I have been told that the factory breakerless ign actually pulls less amps. Also if you have a multi meter you can test the legs to see if they are charging correctly. The wires was not broke, but they were in bad shape at the factory bullet style connectors. The stator wasnt charging on all 3 legs.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 31 Jul 2013 18:43 by Powerstroke_fan.

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
31 Jul 2013 19:01 #599289 by hill
I'll check the wires at the connector.Mine has the blue connector at the fuse box.That stator came off a 76 I've.It may be crap.I thought it just had one wire on each side of the winding.

More
31 Jul 2013 19:24 #599293 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Charging system upgrade?
Did you run diagnostics on the regulator / rectifier? If it has a problem you may experience the symptoms you described. Here's a place that sell high quality units at good prices. I have one of their rectifiers on my KZ650 and it works perfectly. On my KZ650-C1 the regulator and rectifier are separate units, but they sell all flavors. Ed

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
31 Jul 2013 23:19 #599349 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Charging system upgrade?
If not already done, would assure integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of the engine.

Would also assure that the regulator/rectifier is well grounded via the black/yellow wire.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• hill
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 78 kz1000
More
01 Aug 2013 16:00 #599437 by hill
I will check the grounding.I have a ground from the starter cover to battery.Then one to the battery to battery box.I had that box powder coated,so that's a possibility.I haven't got to put my hands on it yet.