Cafe seats and Hidden battery & reg/rect

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
31 Jul 2013 04:52 #599178 by recez
Hey All,
I was hoping someonel could help me out. I'm in the process of making a cafe seat for my KZ 400. I've purchased one of Rick's regulator and rectifier combo kit and a ballistic 8 cell evo battery. I'm going for that clean look behind the carbs, basically move everything under the seat. I pretty sure I can get some battery cable extensions to get the batter under the rear hump of the cafe seat... so no problems there. But how do you guys hide all the rest of the stuff, ie. regulator and rectifier. I'm thinking I'll weld a 1/4 plate to the frame where the batter box is now and try to squish everything in there. What I'm really hoping is that one of ya'll, who has this set up, could post a picture of how you made everything fit. Mainly, how you have your wires routed and where you have things tucked away. I've done some searches on the web, but can't seem to find very much. Maybe people try to keep it a secret :). I don't know but a couple of pics at different angles would help me immensely. I'd also like to see how you extended your battery cables and the like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

74 kz400 D cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
31 Jul 2013 05:50 #599181 by recez
Replied by recez on topic Cafe seats and Hidden battery & reg/rect
Ehhh Did a More specific google search and found some more pics. So I think I have a pretty good Idea of how to do it. Still if anyone who cares to show me their set up I would appreciate... if not I think I've found what I needed. I'll just have to do some trial and error, but I think I'll get it.

74 kz400 D cafe

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
31 Jul 2013 10:33 #599203 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Cafe seats and Hidden battery & reg/rect
I'll just weigh in briefly...I would NOT "extend" your battery cables! They are at the heart of the bike's electrical system...Shortcuts can really bite one in the tuchas!Replace completely with welding cable of appropriate length. Hit up your local high-end car audio store...(6 ? gauge amp power wire)...they should have rolls of the stuff!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
31 Jul 2013 12:51 #599217 by recez
Replied by recez on topic Cafe seats and Hidden battery & reg/rect

Grumpy Ole Artist wrote: I'll just weigh in briefly...I would NOT "extend" your battery cables! They are at the heart of the bike's electrical system...Shortcuts can really bite one in the tuchas!Replace completely with welding cable of appropriate length. Hit up your local high-end car audio store...(6 ? gauge amp power wire)...they should have rolls of the stuff!

Thanks for the input. Good point, I will definitely not skimp on the cables now.

74 kz400 D cafe