Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything

More
30 Jul 2013 03:18 #599036 by bloglos
Ok, I've read the Mfolks guide to cleaning connectors in the wiring harness, I've cleaned and sprayed everything connector under the tank, connectors in the headlight bucket, turn signals, rebuilt and cleaned the kill switch, headlight, signal lights. New coils, points and condensers. Replaced old fuses with soldered in blade fuses. I still have 9V at the coils, new charged battery has well over 12V.

I don't want to do the coil mod, I want to do this right and figure out where I'm losing voltage. Weird thing is that if I disconnect the coils, the voltage is 10.8 - 11V at the Yellow/Red connector to the coil. As soon as I plug the coils in, the voltage drops to 9V. Very odd. I have yet to clean the starter button connections and the horn and turn signal on the left side. Hoping that helps but I'm not convinced.

My turn signals are kind of sporadic, they blink slooowly if at all, if the ignition is on and bike is not running, slow when idling and normal when at higher RPM. Is this maybe a sign of something?

Sorry I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 06:22 #599041 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
If not already done, would inspect and assure integrity of the ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of the engine. The lug may be corroded and thereby failing to provide a proper ground.

Using the specific wiring diagram for the bike at hand, would measure voltage at each connection from battery positive post to the ignition coils -- to determine location of the drop in voltage.

Here's a generic example illustrating the various points to measure.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2013 07:54 - 30 Jul 2013 07:56 #599045 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
Have battery Vdc up to the ignition switch (off position)...?

On output of ignition switch, disconnect lights and such other than Stop/Starter/ignition switches & coils... Turn key ON, battery still drop to ~ 8-9Vdc...?

Possibly bad ignition switch...

Other thought is in the charging circuits...
Considering 3 phase Dynamo (alternator, Vac generator, due to recent naming convention post, whatever you want to call it :whistle: ) @ 1/3rd max Vdc output, thinking bad rectifier, possibly regulator...

Happened on my KZ900, lost a diode (open) thus 2/3rds output at 9Vdc...

The KZ manual has a decent write up on how to test... Forget what member has the 70's OEM manual, check the file base....

KZ900/1000 but still applies regarding rectification & regulation theory...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 07:56 by Old Man Rock.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jul 2013 10:20 #599059 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
While I don't see a C model wiring diagram in File Base, there is others. I would think it should be the same.
Basically you need both ends of the 12v circuit, power and ground for it to work correctly. Like Patton said, check the ground, but also where the Black/yellow goes to the neg battery terminal. You can add a extra ground circuit at the Black/ yellow along one of the other harness points to see if it lifts the voltage.
It could be in the harness splices, the Ignition switch, Run/Stop switch. You must do as Patton wrote and start with the voltage at the battery, follow the white wire to the ignition switch, then onto the brown leading out of the switch, to the Run/ Stop switch, then to the red/ yellow for the coils. Make sure you keep the black meter lead at the battery neg during the tests. See where it drops, fix and move on. Some members have found that splice points in the harness have gone green with corrosion.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 Jul 2013 12:09 #599076 by bloglos
Replied by bloglos on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
Thanks for the replies everyone. Brand new rectifier/regulator working well and charging strong so it's not that. I'll take the advice and trace it from the battery to the coil and see where the major drop is.

Thanks.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

More
30 Jul 2013 13:16 #599079 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
"rectifier/regulator working well and charging strong ".... Huh...? :blink:

Not sure how'd that's possible for after the ignition switch (would have to review schematic/wiring diagram) but power feeds back to the battery...

Translation, this is the same voltage dc to the coils... How can battery voltage be strong but coil voltage low... :S

Have a 30 amp switch...
Can bypass ignition switch to supply coils battery voltage...
Trouble shoot see if the ignition switch is your cause...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
30 Jul 2013 13:51 #599081 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Low voltage at coils, I've tried everything
The factory splices can, and do corrode. I had to re-do the FI harness on my bike, as I wasn't getting the voltage to fire the injectors. After tracing where they were, I replaced them with heatshrinkable splices, There are two types; one you crimp & then shrink down, and the other has a solder band that must be melted, doing so may take a heat gun that most people don't have.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)