Not another charging issue thread.....

More
25 Jul 2013 03:29 - 25 Jul 2013 03:42 #598172 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Not another charging issue thread.....

murr50 wrote: As for this blue wire to the RELAY... It connects directly to the turn signal relay. According to the C1 wiring diagram this makes sense (should be a brown wire).

That's ok then. As you said, that would have been the brown wire on the regulator. The flasher and the regulator just happen to get their power from the same wire, so they are connected, but are not really influencing each other.

murr50 wrote: Last Thing - The red wire from the Reg/rec is 12 gauge. The PO has it spliced right into a 16 ga. wire that goes to the battery... I am assuming this could have caused issues?)

Yes, as Mfolks mebtioned, 16 gauge for the rec/reg output would not be good. You can get away with 14ga, but 12ga is better if you can deal with it.

I don't recommend the stock mechanical regulator. A good, solid-state regulator works so much better. I'd stick with www.OregonMotorcycleParts.com , as Ed said, for a regulator and rectifier.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2013 03:42 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2013 08:52 #598180 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Not another charging issue thread.....
I agree that Kawasaki is very inconsistent in their naming of parts; it may be a translation problem in that one translator calls an item one thing, and a different translator calls it something else. For someone who understands charging systems referring to the "yoke" as a stator makes sense (as long as they can see what part the term "yoke" is referring to). Unfortunately though, when ordering a part, a person who is not particularly familiar with charging systems will very likely end up with the wrong part if he doesn't use the same terminology that is used on the parts diagrams. If he needs a "yoke" but thinks it's called a stator and the part number next to the word "stator" in the diagram is "nnn" that's the part he may order instead of the part marked "yoke." To compound the problem, the 19 year old kid working at the parts counter won't know a thing about charging systems and is definitely going to sell parts based on the part names used in the diagrams, so if asked for a stator he will not pull the part labeled "yoke" and the buyer will receive a part he cannot use. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Jul 2013 09:08 #598181 by 650ed

murr50 wrote: ...............I have torn apart most of the wires and the miles of electrical tape that holds them all together.... Except the orange one. I am assuming from what loud has said, it probably goes to the field coil (heading in that direction)........

There should be no Orange wire connected to any piece of the charging system (including the field coil). The only orange wire that came on the bike when new ran from the handlebars to the turn signal relay - unrelated to the charging system. Again - the ONLY wires coming from the "A.C. Generator" are the 3 Yellow wires and the 1 Green wire. Those 4 A.C Generator wires include anything coming from any of the parts used to generate the electricity, so there should be no extra wires (orange or any other color) attached. If you have an orange wire down in that area it is something a previous owner has installed and who knows what it is for. Is it possible the previous owner replaced the green&red neutral switch wire with an orange one? That has nothing to do with the charging system, but it is physically located in that area and may be routed along with the yellow wires. Ed

More
25 Jul 2013 12:02 #598194 by loudhvx

650ed wrote: I agree that Kawasaki is very inconsistent in their naming of parts; it may be a translation problem in that one translator calls an item one thing, and a different translator calls it something else. For someone who understands charging systems referring to the "yoke" as a stator makes sense (as long as they can see what part the term "yoke" is referring to). Unfortunately though, when ordering a part, a person who is not particularly familiar with charging systems will very likely end up with the wrong part if he doesn't use the same terminology that is used on the parts diagrams. If he needs a "yoke" but thinks it's called a stator and the part number next to the word "stator" in the diagram is "nnn" that's the part he may order instead of the part marked "yoke." To compound the problem, the 19 year old kid working at the parts counter won't know a thing about charging systems and is definitely going to sell parts based on the part names used in the diagrams, so if asked for a stator he will not pull the part labeled "yoke" and the buyer will receive a part he cannot use. Ed

That misses the point. Calling it a yoke, as ridiculous as it is, is not wrong, but it is wrong to say that the 77 650 does NOT have a stator. It clearly does. That will only confuse people. It's fine to mention to someone that Kawasaki refers to it differently, but it is still a stator. Like I said, people understand that things can have more than one name. If the fiche listed the wheels as rims, would you tell someone the KZ650 didn't have wheels? Of course not.

More
25 Jul 2013 14:26 #598210 by 650ed
I do understand what you are saying and don't even disagree with your definition of a stator. However, it really doesn't matter whether or not Kawasaki used a name for the part that meets the definition you or I would give the part - if he decides to order parts and buys the part labeled "Stator" on the Kawasaki diagram he will not be able to use it on this KZ650-C1 unless he makes major mods to the charging system. Ed

More
25 Jul 2013 21:11 #598277 by loudhvx

650ed wrote: I do understand what you are saying and don't even disagree with your definition of a stator. However, it really doesn't matter whether or not Kawasaki used a name for the part that meets the definition you or I would give the part - if he decides to order parts and buys the part labeled "Stator" on the Kawasaki diagram he will not be able to use it on this KZ650-C1 unless he makes major mods to the charging system. Ed

Then the proper thing would be to mention the nomenclature difference rather than deny the existence of the part on his bike.

More
25 Jul 2013 22:39 #598292 by 650ed

loudhvx wrote:

650ed wrote: I do understand what you are saying and don't even disagree with your definition of a stator. However, it really doesn't matter whether or not Kawasaki used a name for the part that meets the definition you or I would give the part - if he decides to order parts and buys the part labeled "Stator" on the Kawasaki diagram he will not be able to use it on this KZ650-C1 unless he makes major mods to the charging system. Ed

Then the proper thing would be to mention the nomenclature difference rather than deny the existence of the part on his bike.

Agreed. I suppose I oversimplified my point. I should have given more detail. Ed