LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)

More
21 Jul 2013 05:59 #597528 by Andersonb47
LED instrument cluster conversion (noob) was created by Andersonb47
Hey everyone, first post from a new rider with very little mechanical/electrical knowledge. Hopefully someone can help me out! I'm looking to replace the instrument cluster bulbs on my 78 KZ400 B1 (neutral light, oil, speedo, tach) and don't really know where to start! What kind of bulbs do I need? Can I just pop them in or is there some kind soldering/fiddling I need to do? Thanks in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 08:44 #597529 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome aboard! No soldering involved; just normal bayonet type sockets. It uses 3.4w Stanley bulbs like those in the auction below. The dealer may have them, but don't let him sell you 3.0w bulbs. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
21 Jul 2013 10:44 #597537 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)
I think 650ed missed the title of your post. If you want to replace the filament bulbs with LEDs, go to superbrightleds.com. They have all you need. The replacement is simple. Out with the old, in with the new. No soldering or resistors. If you replace the stop and turn signal lamps with leds, you will most likely need a new flasher designed to work with leds. They have those too.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
21 Jul 2013 14:22 #597564 by Andersonb47
Replied by Andersonb47 on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)
Great! Would this bulb light up the speedo and tach nicely? Do I need something different for the neutral/oil/turn signal indicators? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate the help!

More
21 Jul 2013 16:06 #597571 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)
You can check the diagrams to see if the bulbs are the same.

Here's a topic w photos & info about the superbright LEDs. Scroll down to the replies by guitargeek
Instrument panel bulbs

More
21 Jul 2013 16:12 #597572 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)

TomW wrote: I think 650ed missed the title of your post. If you want to replace the filament bulbs with LEDs, go to superbrightleds.com. They have all you need. The replacement is simple. Out with the old, in with the new. No soldering or resistors. If you replace the stop and turn signal lamps with leds, you will most likely need a new flasher designed to work with leds. They have those too.

You're right. I saw in the body of the posting where he was going to replace bulbs. I thought he had some burned out. Thanks, Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
21 Jul 2013 19:34 #597592 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)

TomW wrote: I think 650ed missed the title of your post. If you want to replace the filament bulbs with LEDs, go to superbrightleds.com. They have all you need. The replacement is simple. Out with the old, in with the new. No soldering or resistors. If you replace the stop and turn signal lamps with leds, you will most likely need a new flasher designed to work with leds. They have those too.

BINGO!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
Attachments:

More
22 Jul 2013 22:08 #597796 by Andersonb47
Replied by Andersonb47 on topic LED instrument cluster conversion (noob)
Anyone know how many bulbs I need?

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
23 Jul 2013 12:54 #597882 by TomW

Andersonb47 wrote: Great! Would this bulb light up the speedo and tach nicely? Do I need something different for the neutral/oil/turn signal indicators? Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate the help!

I used that bulb in the marker lights on my trailer. It shines very brightly. My meters have 2 bulbs for illumination and I think that one would be too bright. The neutral, oil pressure and high beam light would probably need less light . There are others on that site with fewer leds on the same base. Look for those that shine the light out of the tip of the bulb for those indicators. You might want a brighter bulb for the turn signal indicators if you're like me and forget to turn the turn signal off once in a while.

Be sure to indicate the correct color when you order the bulbs. Neutral is green, etc.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
23 Jul 2013 12:55 #597883 by TomW

Andersonb47 wrote: Anyone know how many bulbs I need?

You have the bike, count 'em. ;)