Just when i thought i had it all figured out....

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
20 Jul 2013 00:29 - 20 Jul 2013 00:49 #597401 by Ogcoda
So to make a (3 year) long story short. I have built this kz1000 externally from scratch and everything is pretty much great but the cursed charging system :evil: . I had it wired before and it ran but wouldn't hold a charge so i got a new battery, still didn't do it.so i figured I'd re- rewire it.... This time i wasn't messing around got a Brand new battery, all new wires fuse holders, stator, key switch, $100 R/R and went to town. The bike fired right up and ran great. Road it around for about 3 days and the weather got nasty so i put the bike up for about 2 weeks. Came out to ride it one day and it took about 15 kicks and it started.... Kinda weird but what ever. Now i have just moved all my stuff is in storage about 200+ miles away and i'm living with the in law's for a bit! :pinch: I brought the bike with me on a trailer and have been riding it almost every day. Today I went out to bleed the brakes and get it ready for a little ride with some buddies and it took a few kicks and it started for about 5 seconds and died. After about 5 million kicks later I felt like putting a stick of dynamite in the tank and watching the stupid thing blow up. It wont even try to start now. No power spark or anything. The headlight is barely barley lit. I'm about to rip my hair out with this thing. I don't understand what the problem could be? Everything is new and was working fine about 24 hours ago... WTF!?!?!?!

P.S. I know the first thing everyone is going to tell me is "Check the voltage with a meter" Witch i would if all my stuff wasn't in storage 200 miles away. Any suggestions?

This is my wiring diagram I made for my bike.

[IMG

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 00:49 by Ogcoda.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2013 05:07 #597418 by daveo
I share your pain :pinch:

As far as putting dynamite in the gas tank? A lit match should be sufficient, but don't do it!!! Good luck...

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
20 Jul 2013 09:34 #597429 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Just when i thought i had it all figured out....
Of course that's what we'd reply, totally logical for trouble shooting don't you think....
Go buy another DVM ($25) for verifying voltages, resistance and continuity.

Dim head light equates to low battery voltage...
D-connect the 15 amp fuse so it's just the coil voltage you're t-shooting.

Check all your connections, possibly a disconnect for coil voltage.

Blown 30 amp fuse....?
If fuses good, and still no volt meter, bypass ignition switch to coils with 30amp SPST switch....
She fire up...

Otherwise, if battery low, poor/disconnected ground to frame & engine, charging circuit R/R combo unit or stator issue...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
20 Jul 2013 10:34 #597435 by Patton
Wiring diagram looks okay.

Would assure integrity of the ground connection where the battery negative cable attaches to rear of engine.

Would remove battery, add water if needed, charge overnight (1~2 amps), and get the battery load-tested.
Usually for free at AutoZone, Walmart, etc., and generally anywhere batteries are sold.

When re-installing the battery, assure the wire lug terminals and posts are clean, and securely fastened.

To check the charging system, measure voltage across battery terminals at idle rpm, which should be 13+ volts.
Measure again at 4000 rpm, which should be 14~15 volts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
31 Jul 2013 00:40 #599160 by Ogcoda
So I just borrowed my buddies volt meter and the bike pumps out pretty close to the volts Patton mentioned. I got the bike running after sitting on the charger for a while and took it up the street and it was riding right and everything but when I started to pull back into the shop the headlight started to dim as the rpms dropped and then the bike just died. The battery I bought is just a normal wet cell battery that i picked up from my local hardware store. I don't think it would have gone bad already... I also checked the voltage coming from the R/R and its good. I'm thinking about just buying a "New" Stator off ebay but The two I found are priced super differently. Anyone know how the $75.00 dollar one stands up to the $180.00 one?

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

More
31 Jul 2013 00:52 #599163 by MFolks
Have you gone to www.electrosport.com and used their troubleshooting page? They also sell overwound stators, for low rpm charging. I believe they sell the regulator/rectifier combination too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
31 Jul 2013 01:08 #599167 by Ogcoda
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

MFolks wrote: Have you gone to www.electrosport.com and used their troubleshooting page? They also sell overwound stators, for low rpm charging. I believe they sell the regulator/rectifier combination too.

Looked and i don't see a stator for my 78 kz1000c.

These are the ones I found.

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

More
31 Jul 2013 01:14 #599168 by MFolks
The problem I see with buying on E-bay, is you may be purchasing damaged equipment, with no warranty. Look at these websites too:

Stators, Regulators & Rectifiers
www.rmstator.com
store.prestoliteperformance.com/accel-mc...z1000-1100-1300.html
Kawasaki 77/78 1000A. www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...tId=&mmyId=10274
Kawasaki 79 1000ST.
www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...atId=&mmyId=1656
www.customrewind.com (they can rebuild your stator)
www.regulatorrectifier.com
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com (not sure they have stators)
www.accel-motorcycle.com/
www.tpe-usa.com/ (Tim Parrott Enterprises)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
31 Jul 2013 08:54 #599190 by Patton

Ogcoda wrote: ... got the bike running after sitting on the charger for a while and took it up the street and it was riding right and everything but when I started to pull back into the shop the headlight started to dim as the rpms dropped and then the bike just died. The battery I bought is just a normal wet cell battery that i picked up from my local hardware store. I don't think it would have gone bad already... I also checked the voltage coming from the R/R and its good. I'm thinking about just buying a "New" Stator off ebay but The two I found are priced super differently. Anyone know how the $75.00 dollar one stands up to the $180.00 one?

Seems as if the battery is failing to accept and hold a charge.

Would remove battery, charge it overnight, and take it to an automotive supplier such as AutoZone (or maybe Walmart) for load test (usually performed as as a free service.)

The voltage measurements would indicate that the bike's charging system seems to be working okay without needing any new parts.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 Jul 2013 10:11 #599199 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Just when i thought i had it all figured out....

Ogcoda wrote: So to make a (3 year) long story short. I have built this kz1000 externally from scratch and everything is pretty much great but the cursed charging system :evil: . I had it wired before and it ran but wouldn't hold a charge so i got a new battery, still didn't do it.so i figured I'd re- rewire it.... This time i wasn't messing around got a Brand new battery, all new wires fuse holders, stator, key switch, $100 R/R and went to town. The bike fired right up and ran great. Road it around for about 3 days and the weather got nasty so i put the bike up for about 2 weeks. Came out to ride it one day and it took about 15 kicks and it started.... Kinda weird but what ever. Now i have just moved all my stuff is in storage about 200+ miles away and i'm living with the in law's for a bit! :pinch: I brought the bike with me on a trailer and have been riding it almost every day. Today I went out to bleed the brakes and get it ready for a little ride with some buddies and it took a few kicks and it started for about 5 seconds and died. After about 5 million kicks later I felt like putting a stick of dynamite in the tank and watching the stupid thing blow up. It wont even try to start now. No power spark or anything. The headlight is barely barley lit. I'm about to rip my hair out with this thing. I don't understand what the problem could be? Everything is new and was working fine about 24 hours ago... WTF!?!?!?!

P.S. I know the first thing everyone is going to tell me is "Check the voltage with a meter" Witch i would if all my stuff wasn't in storage 200 miles away. Any suggestions?

In your basic diagram, you have all three stator wires going into one R/R wire. I'm sure you have them going to three R/R wires, but please clarify. Post wire color connections, from Stator to R/R and R/R to battery along with the diameter of the wires used. You may have to small of wire going from R/R to battery and ground.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Ogcoda
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Killing Everything
More
01 Aug 2013 01:57 #599365 by Ogcoda

Motor Head wrote:

Ogcoda wrote: So to make a (3 year) long story short. I have built this kz1000 externally from scratch and everything is pretty much great but the cursed charging system :evil: . I had it wired before and it ran but wouldn't hold a charge so i got a new battery, still didn't do it.so i figured I'd re- rewire it.... This time i wasn't messing around got a Brand new battery, all new wires fuse holders, stator, key switch, $100 R/R and went to town. The bike fired right up and ran great. Road it around for about 3 days and the weather got nasty so i put the bike up for about 2 weeks. Came out to ride it one day and it took about 15 kicks and it started.... Kinda weird but what ever. Now i have just moved all my stuff is in storage about 200+ miles away and i'm living with the in law's for a bit! :pinch: I brought the bike with me on a trailer and have been riding it almost every day. Today I went out to bleed the brakes and get it ready for a little ride with some buddies and it took a few kicks and it started for about 5 seconds and died. After about 5 million kicks later I felt like putting a stick of dynamite in the tank and watching the stupid thing blow up. It wont even try to start now. No power spark or anything. The headlight is barely barley lit. I'm about to rip my hair out with this thing. I don't understand what the problem could be? Everything is new and was working fine about 24 hours ago... WTF!?!?!?!

In your basic diagram, you have all three stator wires going into one R/R wire. I'm sure you have them going to three R/R wires, but please clarify. Post wire color connections, from Stator to R/R and R/R to battery along with the diameter of the wires used. You may have to small of wire going from R/R to battery and ground.

The Wire I used from the R/R to the battery is the one that comes out of it stock... Theres not much I can do about the wires that are coming out of the R/R.

1978 kz1000 Bobber
2006 MazdaSpeed6

More
01 Aug 2013 13:58 #599421 by Bear_Only
Replied by Bear_Only on topic Just when i thought i had it all figured out....
This sound like a equal problem, I had on one of my car's, for years ago.
The solution there was to make a new earthing cable between motor and chase (16mm2 copper).
I had the car for years after, and had no more problems.
It's worth trying that on your kz

Good luck :)

Bear Only
Owner of
-79 KZ1000 LTD