'76 KZ900 LTD Coil fun

More
14 Jul 2013 17:23 - 14 Jul 2013 20:44 #596485 by Eben
'76 KZ900 LTD Coil fun was created by Eben
Just getting this back on the road and wanted to fix some issues. Just checked voltage across coils, the left one for cylinders 1 & 4 reads 2-3, other one is 12.35 volts. Thanks to Patton's post on how to check the voltage. What is recommended on replacement? Find a used one? Order new ones from Dyna? I just bought a Dyna ignition and felt I needed to fix one thing at a time before installing it. I just rebuilt carbs, and it didn't want to start. Found some electrical issues and replaced the kill switch. Always a red flag when you buy a bike and there is a fuse taped to the frame. Thanks in advance for the help!
Last edit: 14 Jul 2013 20:44 by Eben.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2013 18:28 #596495 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic '76 KZ900 LTD Coil fun
Your choice can be new ignition coils from Dyna, or Accel, both have 3 ohm ratings and are a popular choice. www.z1enterprises.com sells Dyna coils, and a brand called Emgo, a generic replacement.

On the Dyna and Accel coils, the primary wires can possibly short out against the mounting spacer, and the fix, will be to use a Nylon, or plastic spacer in it's place. You'll need to use ring terminals to replace the 1/4" push on type Kawasaki supplied with the bike.

For the strongest spark, use copper sparkplug wires, non resistor sparkplug caps, and non resistor sparkplugs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.