starting problems

More
25 Jun 2013 22:27 #593938 by Amboray
starting problems was created by Amboray
I have a 1981 kz1100 a1 that has been running great up until this last month in which i have had some issues getting the neutral light to turn on when i turn the key. If this neutral light does not turn on my bike will not start. I had noticed over the past month when i inserted my key and turned it I would have to spend time trying to find that "sweet spot" with my key so the neutral light would come on.
I'm no mechanic, but I was wondering if i replace the ignition switch would this solve my problem?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2013 22:40 #593940 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic starting problems
I think you're correct. I seems likely that the reason the neutral light isn't on is because the ignition switch isn't making a good connection right away. Then once you find the sweet spot all is ok. I don't know if the ignition switch can be opened up to see what's wrong but it may be worth a try; it could be just a dirty contact or something of that nature rather than the switch worn out. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Jun 2013 23:26 #593951 by sig
Replied by sig on topic starting problems
In my 650 that can't be opened :( but aftermarket ignitions are available new for around $40 on e bay

1982 KZ650H CSR

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
26 Jun 2013 09:25 #593987 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic starting problems
Depends on the switch yours takes. Emgo makes a new one, but the other one is NLA. So also I believe you can remove and disassemble, clean the contacts. I've done it when needed on a few including my K2 which has a similar switch.
See if it looks like this one. www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...lock&item=EM40-80610

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...