Neither ignition coil is producing a spark

• ingenuity321
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jun 2013 16:05 #593888 by ingenuity321
Neither ignition coil is producing a spark was created by ingenuity321
I've replaced the spark plugs, fuses, cdi ignition pack and am getting a good reading on the multimeter for both ignition coils. I'm getting a new rectifier tomorrow, but if this fails to resolve the issue I am at a complete loss for what is causing it. There appears to be no voltage reading on either wire leading to the ignition coils. I took off the headlight to check the switch connectors but I was unable to locate it as the plugs looked nothing like what was in the manual. The bike is an 87 KZ305. Also I had to bypass the kickstand kill switch because it had become dislodged somehow from the kick stand and both wires leading to it were exposed and frayed. I inspected all the wires and connections as closely as I could but I am not seeing any reason why neither coil is getting power.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2013 16:15 #593891 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Neither ignition coil is producing a spark
How are you measuring the power to the ignition coils? A multimeter set on VDC(Volts, Direct Current) range of 20, is how it should be done, with the RED probe of the multimeter going to where the RED or RED/Yellow wire goes to the coils, and the BLACK probe of the multimeter on either a good frame ground, or the Negative (-) battery terminal.

If the battery is charged, you should see close to battery voltage, but it depends on what other circuits are involved. Look at your fuses too, as they may have internally failed but look good, especially if the fuses are the older, glass tubed type. They are AGX in size, with possibly 10,and 15 amp ratings(it should say on the fuse what amp rating they are).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Jun 2013 16:20 #593895 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Neither ignition coil is producing a spark
With the run/stop switch to "run" and the ignition switch to "on", you should see input voltage to the coils.The engine does not have to be running to check coil voltage, as they are seperate circuits.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• ingenuity321
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jun 2013 16:41 #593902 by ingenuity321
Replied by ingenuity321 on topic Neither ignition coil is producing a spark
it doesnt look like either of the wires connected to the coils are getting any power with the key on and ignition switch set to run. is it possible to run wires directly from the battery to the coils to see if i can get a spark that way?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
25 Jun 2013 17:28 #593913 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Neither ignition coil is producing a spark
Of course it's possible. Keep in mind though... you'll have no way of shutting it off if you route your coil + feed directly from the battery! :woohoo: Good luck.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ingenuity321