Worn-out Ignition Switch loom/wiring problems

More
22 Jun 2013 13:34 #593495 by Jakshere94
Hey all, first post about first bike so roll with me on this:) I purchased a '77 KZ650 C1 near the end of March as my first bike and was cruising around happy as I could be for the first few weeks. Unfortunately, issues started to pop up pretty soon in the electrical system. After being left stranded a few times and a few hours using a voltmeter I've narrowed some of major problems down to the white ignition wire that comes out of the 20A fuse and runs up to the switch. This wire is dead with no current flowing through it. A previous owner had run a wire from the old fuse box to the ignition switch as a cheap fix but didn't do it very well so it shorts out semi-frequently. Behind the headlight I found said wire where he connected it to the loom that attaches to the ignition switch. The plastic connectors for both the switch and the loom are pretty janky looking. I purchased a new switch but need to get a new connector for the loom and figure out how to fix the wire problem. What options do I have here, what would any of you recommend? Thanks!

First Bike 1977 KZ650 C1 :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2013 14:34 #593499 by MFolks
For replacment wiring, get some "Marine Rated Wire" as is individually tin coated for flexibility, and then insulated. Replacement connectors might be bought at www.easternbeaver.com .

Some good information about electrical crimping tools(what should be used,and shouldn't)

www.pbase.com/image/93309736

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Jun 2013 14:57 - 22 Jun 2013 14:58 #593500 by 650ed
Welcome aboard; you came to the right place!!!

Take a look at the picture below; look familiar? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That was the connector on my 1977 KZ650-C1. The connector was burned because of over-current (my fault). The PERFECT replacement connector is "34-8946 B-19" Take a look at the third row of connectors in the link below. The sixth connector from the left is the one you need. I was not able to pull the pins from the old, burned connector for fear of damaging them, and I definitely did not want to cut them off and try to solder new pins on. So, I very carefully used a dremel tool to cut the old connector into small pieces that I could remove the pins/wires from without damaging the pins/wires. It worked great and I was then able to plug the old pins into the new connector with no problems. Just take your time and be careful not to damage the pins or wires and you'll be able to fix this problem very easily. Also, BEFORE you remove the connector take a couple pictures of which wires go into which holes in the connector or you will find it very difficult to hook them back into the correct holes. Ed

www.hvccycle.com/electrical-connectors.html

Attachment 00000_2013-06-22.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jun 2013 14:58 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jakshere94

More
22 Jun 2013 20:35 #593516 by Jakshere94
Replied by Jakshere94 on topic Worn-out Ignition Switch loom/wiring problems
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys I'll try to get cracking on this ASAP! Much appreciated, I'll reply again when I get it working!

First Bike 1977 KZ650 C1 :)