Power drain on kz750

More
18 Jun 2013 19:38 #592932 by lroberts
Power drain on kz750 was created by lroberts
Just got my 79 kz750 back together and running. Bought a new battery but I am having to charge it daily. The bike seems to have a power drain and I am not sure why.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 19:41 #592934 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Power drain on kz750
Does this happen while riding or when the bike is just sitting with the engine turned off? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Jun 2013 21:21 #592953 by lroberts
Replied by lroberts on topic Power drain on kz750
When the engine is turned off. I could let it sit all night and then the next day I have to charge it again.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
18 Jun 2013 21:50 #592962 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Power drain on kz750
Do you have access to and knowledge of an amp meter, fluke, vom anything like that? If so, pul your fuses out and put your amp meter across the fuse holder one circuit at a time. You should have zeroczero current flow. If you find flow, you find your faulty circuit. If no flow on any circuit, your problems will lie in R/R . Good luck. Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: lroberts

More
18 Jun 2013 22:21 #592973 by 650ed
If you have a multimeter or voltmeter you can test for parasitic drain at the battery. With the key off disconnect one of the battery cables (either one, but only one) and hook the voltmeter between the battery terminal and the battery cable you disconnected from that terminal. You should see zero voltage. If that is the case the battery probably has a problem. However, if the meter reads voltage with the key off there is a short somewhere. Let us know what you find. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: lroberts

More
20 Jun 2013 08:11 #593194 by lroberts
Replied by lroberts on topic Power drain on kz750
Good stuff guys, thanks! I will try those ideas out this weekend and report back.

More
17 Jul 2013 14:15 #596945 by Davereplicant
Replied by Davereplicant on topic Power drain on kz750
Hi
I've just he tried this on mine. Disconnected red terminal and put a meter between the red terminal and red lead and I'm getting full battery voltage with the key off.
Is this bad news?

More
17 Jul 2013 14:48 #596950 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Power drain on kz750
With the ignition key off, you should have zero (no) voltage if the meter is connected correctly. How old is the ignition switch? It may be failing internally.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Jul 2013 15:21 #596958 by 650ed
It would be helpful if you would add your bike’s year & model to your signature line - not all KZ’s have the same wiring layout.

Although it may be normal to see a tiny bit of voltage flowing (less than 1 volt) with the key off, if you are seeing full battery voltage flowing from the positive battery terminal to the positive battery cable with the key off there is a problem. If this was the case on my KZ650-C1 I would hook the positive battery cable back up to the battery and start by testing for full voltage at the main fuse just as you did with the positive battery cable. If full voltage is flowing through that fuse circuit with the key off I would trace the problem through the ignition switch (which may be at fault). If the main fuse shows little no voltage with the key off I would then test to see if the starter relay had full voltage (because it is not on a fuse). If it does not, I would check for full voltage at the rectifier/regulator. Your bike may be different, but on mine the only 3 circuits attached directly to the positive side of the battery are the 20A main fuse, the starter relay, and the rectifier. Everything else is attached through those 3 circuits, so finding which of those 3 is passing full voltage with the key off would narrow down the troubleshooting quite a bit. Ed

More
17 Jul 2013 15:32 #596959 by Davereplicant
Fantastic.
My bike is a bit of a mish mash I think. Should be a kz1100 a3.
That's gave me a good start. I'll follow this through and let you know what I find.
I've just did an amp draw test through the negative lead and terminal and there's no current draw there when the key is off.
Thank you very much!

More
17 Jul 2013 15:51 #596961 by Davereplicant
Traced this to the self cancelling indicator side switches.
When I disconnect that switch the voltage disappears unless I turn the ignition on.

Great! Thank you very much!!!

More
17 Jul 2013 16:10 #596968 by 650ed
Good find! You gotta love it when you know for sure you nailed down the source of a problem. Ed