Bouncing ELECTRONIC Speedometer?

• slayer61
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
17 Jun 2013 15:36 #592726 by slayer61
Bouncing ELECTRONIC Speedometer? was created by slayer61
Wise and knowledgeable KZ/Z/GPZ experts! The speedo on my wife's '81 GPZ1100 bounces all over the place. No worries, I've seen this before! pull the cable and liner, give 'er a good clean and lube and done!

No way! This speedo is electronic! It has 3 wires going from the speedo drive unit to the speedo! What gives? What do I have to do to get my wife's speed indication sorted out? How many other Kaws were made this way!

Thanks in advance for your help! Paul

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Jun 2013 21:41 #592787 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bouncing ELECTRONIC Speedometer?
You still need the basics, good power and ground connections, and of course the speed sensor signal from the front wheel. There is a test for the voltage the speed sensor makes while having the front tire in the air and rotating slowly.
I'd be checking all the connections to the speedo and sensor first before getting into it to far.
Do you have a Service manual for the GPZ? If not there may be a link here on KZR for a free download. Or I would think most of the tests for the 81-83 K/ LTD and the A/ Sport Touring shafty would be the same. But they do use a different speedo head. There are free links to those manuals.
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.