Won't start

More
16 Jun 2013 20:28 #592594 by ggenovez
Won't start was created by ggenovez
Hi all,

I have an old kz1100 that I had in storage for 5 years. when I put her away she had a hard start problem.

This year, I replaced the starter clutch gear and rebuilt the starter clutch. Put her on ON, kill swith to RUN and Pressed it with the clutch engaged and nothing.

THe oil neutral light is on, the headlamp is on but starter won't turn.

Pulled the starter and connected it directly to the battery and it turned.

Put a multi meter to the starter line and pressed the RUN button and nothing.

Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks

KZ-1100 A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 21:23 #592598 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Won't start
Did you pull in the clutch lever? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Jun 2013 01:24 #592647 by ggenovez
Replied by ggenovez on topic Won't start
That I did.

Still nothing :(

KZ-1100 A1

More
17 Jun 2013 09:02 #592671 by 650ed
I would first check for voltage at the starter solenoid (they call it a "magnetic switch"). If you have power there when the key is on and the starter button is pressed you may just need to replace that unit. If there is no power there I would check for voltage at the starter button when the key is on. If you have no power there trace the circuit from there back toward the battery. If you do have power at the start button, trace the circuit from there to the starter solenoid. Ed

The following user(s) said Thank You: ggenovez

More
17 Jun 2013 10:52 #592685 by ggenovez
Thanks Ed,

I was up last night thinking the same route. To add to that, I was also thinking the Clutch switch could be at fault.

Now forgive my ignorance, but where would I be able to find the starter relay?

Also, I could do a continuity test for the start switch once I find the relay.

Thanks again,

George

KZ-1100 A1

More
17 Jun 2013 11:18 #592691 by 650ed
It could be the clutch switch; that should be easy to check first - good idea.

The starter relay should be under the left side cover attached to the positive battery cable. Below is a pic of how it looks on my KZ650-C1. As far as a continuity test on the relay, keep in mind that the relay is normally open. It might be easier to test voltage at the starter button input side of the relay to see if you get voltage there when the clutch lever is pulled in, the key is on, and you push the start button (you may need a helper or tie the clutch lever during the test). The starter button input side of the relay should get voltage when you try to start the engine. If it does, you will need to see if something is wrong with the relay or maybe there is a loose cable at the relay, starter, or battery. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-06-17-2.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ggenovez

More
18 Jun 2013 09:00 #592853 by ggenovez
Hey Ed,

Good call on the wiring. Looks like it's the wire that goes from the connector after the relay to the connector under the tank.

I don't see a break in the wire. What's the right protocol? SHould I just run a replacement wire along the harness, and solder it into place? What gauge should I use?

Thanks again.

George

KZ-1100 A1

More
18 Jun 2013 09:35 #592858 by 650ed
I would try to determine the gauge of the original wire and use that or one size heavier. I'm not much on soldering wires, as I've seen those connections fail over time. Assuming the wire in question is not the heavy one that goes to the battery you might want to use bullet connectors (the type with the plastic insulation that slides over the "bullet" after connecting it). Ed

More
18 Jun 2013 16:02 #592899 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Won't start
These starter solenids(relays)fail after a few years, take your old one along, and visit a local riding lawnmower shop, for about $20 you should be able to find on that will work. An additional ground wire might be need to make it work.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jun 2013 21:51 #592963 by ggenovez
Thanks guys, got that part fixed.

KZ-1100 A1

More
18 Jun 2013 22:03 #592967 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Won't start

650ed wrote: It could be the clutch switch; that should be easy to check first - good idea.

The starter relay should be under the left side cover attached to the positive battery cable. Below is a pic of how it looks on my KZ650-C1. As far as a continuity test on the relay, keep in mind that the relay is normally open. It might be easier to test voltage at the starter button input side of the relay to see if you get voltage there when the clutch lever is pulled in, the key is on, and you push the start button (you may need a helper or tie the clutch lever during the test). The starter button input side of the relay should get voltage when you try to start the engine. If it does, you will need to see if something is wrong with the relay or maybe there is a loose cable at the relay, starter, or battery. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-06-17-2.jpg not found

Ed that bike is clean baby........your not a auto detailer are you?..........lol

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
18 Jun 2013 22:11 #592969 by 650ed
Thanks for the kind words; no I'm not an auto detailer. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed