Reserve lighting device shorted ?

More
14 Jun 2013 10:29 #592261 by pat
HI

I have a kz1000 B4 Ltd 1980. I was trying to find a bad ground in the lights sockets from the speedometer and the RPM and i think i shorted something because those lights doesn't work anymore. In fact, i know i shorted them cause i touched the bottom and the side of the socket in the same time and it created a spark...

Because there is no fuse to break, i wonder if i shorted the Reserve lighting devide ?
Is that possible, considering that the rest of the lights works including headbeam ?
I have to pass the inspection and those lights have to work. What do i have to check, buy, fix to make them work again ?

Thank for your precious kwowledge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 12:09 #592272 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Reserve lighting device shorted ?
No fuse? There should be a little fuse box under a side cover, and it sounds like when you shorted the circuit one of the fuses blew. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jun 2013 12:59 #592277 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Reserve lighting device shorted ?
I got rid of the fuse box when i install the coil relay six years ago. They were suggesting to get rid of it.

So, no there's no fuse box.

More
14 Jun 2013 13:28 #592285 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Reserve lighting device shorted ?
I can't image who suggested ditching the fuses, but that was a singularly bad idea. Without fuses there is nothing to protect the wiring from burning and perhaps setting the bike on fire if something shorts out. I would seriously consider installing a set of fuses regardless of what you find caused the lights to stop working. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jun 2013 14:18 #592291 by pat
Replied by pat on topic Reserve lighting device shorted ?
Sorry, i cut corners. There's 2 fuses that protect the bike, but visually nothing to protect the little electricity.