1980 kz750h starter solenoid relay/ idling problem

More
12 Jun 2013 23:27 #592038 by ErT
Most likely a newb question, but i'm not too good with working on bikes.. I believe I need a new starter solenoid ( can start it by crossing the pegs) but is there a certain amperage relay I need or will any work? lol.. I plan on getting a new battery as well with the relay on payday.. I have no money to buy a manual yet either so I also wanted to know about my idling.. Which it doesn't seem to want to idle ... I've yet to have more than 2 hours to mess with it due to working and just buying it 3 days ago, but it kept shutting off instead of idling.. So I took it out for a 20-30 minute ride and back to see if it warmed up and as I expected I put it in neutral and came to a stop and it idled for 5-10 seconds and shut right off.. Since i'm kind of new to bikes( grew up on dirtbikes but never messed with a bike like this) im not sure how to set the idling or any of that.. Also seemed to want to die unless full choke.. any help is appreciated! I have alot to learn ahhh :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2013 09:41 #592077 by Motor Head
Before you buy another solenoid. Try powering up the relay coil side, thats the two small wires. One is power the other is ground. It could well be a bad switch at the handlebar, or a loose connection.
While you can get a new Kawasaki solenoid, or a used Feebay one. You can also go and get one for a ride on lawn motor with electric start. These can be had new for < $20.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ErT

More
13 Jun 2013 10:02 #592078 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's the part number from the diagram:

Attachment 00000_2013-06-13.jpg not found

If you find you need a new solenoid (switch) here are a couple aftermarket units. Guess which one ole cheap Ed would buy. :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
13 Jun 2013 15:35 #592112 by ErT
thanks for the info.. although last night after i posted this i found one on ebay for 10$ and went ahead and got it.. if its not the solenoid atleast ill have a backup right.. and how would i go about checking for bad switch at the handle bar? multimeter? if so what settings on it should i use and what readings should i get? I was wondering if it was the start switch , it seems to either be stuck in a little bit or it just doesn't push in very far.. could also be my battery because it was totally dead when i bought the bike, had it on slow charge overnight and it atleast started without having to be hooked up to the charger on jump setting.. but that was crossing the solenoid pegs with screwdriver.. everything works but the electric ignition.. i suppose once payday comes and i get a new battery and that solenoid comes it will narrow down the culprit.. thanks again!

More
16 Jun 2013 16:37 #592573 by ErT
any idea why when i hit front or rear brakes my fuel light turns on? lol

More
16 Jun 2013 17:51 #592576 by MFolks
I believe on some Kawaski's, the fuel light may also have a brake light warning in the same circuit, so look at your rear brake/running light, to see if the bulb is bad.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
17 Jun 2013 13:56 #592716 by ErT
thanks i will check that out today.. i know the light atleast worked because i checked all my lights before going on a test ride.. i really need to go through all the electricals and clean contacts , my start button still isn't working after a new solenoid.. Hoping its just the old battery..

More
17 Jun 2013 16:24 #592730 by ErT
hey, i took the start button control apart, it was caked with green build up.. cleaned it out and it seemed to be working good, put it back together and right when i push it in it gets stuck again.. no start.. any ideas? better clean?