rewiring 81 kz cafe with 77 motor.

• dragstripkz78
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2013 17:52 #591781 by dragstripkz78
rewiring 81 kz cafe with 77 motor. was created by dragstripkz78
I am new to this forum and to bike building, I have had 29 motorcycles the past five years. I love the Kz's and this is my fourth. I got this one off craigslist. It has a 81 frame 77 650 motor clubman bars and a 86 ninja zx600 front end, frame has some mods which is where help comes in play.

The last guy removed all the mounting tabs for the battery box and all the b.s that attaches to it now has no where to call home.

Question #1. can I go with kick start only to simplify the wiring and will that be a bad idea?

question #2. will the head light work with out a battery once the bike is running? (putting led blinkers)

Question #3. he put pods filters on it, burnt up a piston, it has been totally rebuilt still pods on it. what jets would I use to not have the same problem occur.

I thank any one in advance for any non sarcastic positive information! I am new and open minded I am glad there is a place uneducated mechanics like me can be educated by informed guys like you.. lol..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2013 18:14 - 11 Jun 2013 18:15 #591784 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic rewiring 81 kz cafe with 77 motor.

dragstripkz78 wrote: I am new to this forum and to bike building, I have had 29 motorcycles the past five years.

Welcome to the forum. That is a lot of bikes!

dragstripkz78 wrote: Question #1. can I go with kick start only to simplify the wiring and will that be a bad idea?..

The 77 KZ650 motors use a field coil alternator. That type requires the use of a battery, however, you can use a really tiny 12v battery from a scooter etc. if you want to go kick-only.

Because the 77 is different from all of the other 650's, you need a regulator (or regulator/rectifier combo) designed to work on that type of alternator. Oregonmotorcycleparts.com has them.

Or you may be able to swap in an alternator from a later, 78 or 79, or maybe even later 3-phase KZ650. Then you can go without a battery, but you will need a capacitor as a "battery eliminator".

dragstripkz78 wrote: question #2. will the head light work with out a battery once the bike is running?

Not sure, but the bike won't start without a battery, even with kick starting, unless you change the alternator to a later type.

If you change the alternator, and go batteryless, it won't start with the lights on. You have to give it a little rev, and then turn on the lights.

dragstripkz78 wrote: Question #3. he put pods filters on it, burnt up a piston, it has been totally rebuilt still pods on it. what jets would I use to not have the same problem occur. ..

It was likely something other than simply having pods that caused the piston to burn up, otherwise all four would have burned up. But with pods, you will definitely have to use something other than stock jetting. Increase the main, and the pilot, and raise the needle one notch.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2013 18:15 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragstripkz78

• dragstripkz78
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2013 18:39 #591787 by dragstripkz78
Replied by dragstripkz78 on topic rewiring 81 kz cafe with 77 motor.
Well thank you, loudhvx. I was actually searching for you to ask you personally about these issues then I got a message that you already answered them Thank you!

I actually have a 1978 kz 650 that has the original pipes and air box. Maybe I should just switch the bobber project to the 78. so I can run without a battery, just didn't want to rip apart the all original 78 kz650

What would cause one piston to have a major hole in it? the rest clean? he blamed the pods.

what is your opinion about removing the pods and putting the air box from the 78 on the 77 motor? will it look horrible or rob horsepower?

are the carbs the same on a 77 as on a 78 kz650.

thank you sir for the help. Im sure ill be needing more along the way. love this forum!
Attachments: