Procedure For Swapping Out Speedometers?

More
10 Jun 2013 16:21 #591639 by upncummr
I have a 1983 KZ 750 LTD with shaft drive. When I bought the bike last year the speedometer and speedometer housing had been damaged while the bike was in storage. The housing has been crushed pretty good.

So I located a couple of replacement speedometers on Ebay over the last few months and I'm curious about how to swap out the speedometer.

Does it simply unbolt/unplug near the back of the housing? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks!

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2013 17:50 #591642 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Procedure For Swapping Out Speedometers?
Nope, pretty simple, while you're at it, replace all the instrument bulbs too. Some bikes had bayonet(twist and turn type), others have the baseless bulbs that plug into special sockets. LED's would be another way to go.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Jun 2013 11:34 #591923 by upncummr
Replied by upncummr on topic Procedure For Swapping Out Speedometers?
MFolks:

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to take a look at it this weekend to see what's involved.

I remember the speedometer cable is attached at the back of the speedometer housing, but I don't remember how the speedometer housing actually attaches to the bike. I assume it's just a couple of bolts.

If that's the case, it should be a pretty simple swap.

Re: replacing bulbs - does that require the speedometer housing to be opened?

Gary

More
12 Jun 2013 12:52 #591932 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Procedure For Swapping Out Speedometers?
The bulbs should be reachable from the back, most are covered with a rubber coating enclosing the bulb's socket. On my 1982 GPz 1100, I have to remove a plastic cover(2 screws), and then it's the same as your bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)