Ignition fuse

More
10 Jun 2013 12:04 #591579 by kfs
Ignition fuse was created by kfs
Intermittantly every couple weeks my 81 KZ1000Ltd blows an ignition fuse. Any thoughts on where to start the investigation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2013 13:32 #591594 by T_Lo
Replied by T_Lo on topic Ignition fuse
I had an -77 kz650 B1 that did the same thing and it was a bad diode in the rectifier that caused it.
It didn´t burn the glassfuse, just made it so hot so the soldering melted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kfs

More
10 Jun 2013 14:31 #591623 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition fuse
Go here and see if they have a rectifier/regulator for your bike: www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Jun 2013 11:18 #591922 by kfs
Replied by kfs on topic Ignition fuse
Exactly what happened; it got hot and solder melted!!! Is there a way to test retectifier? How hard is it to relace rectifier? Thanks again for responding.

More
12 Jun 2013 12:59 #591933 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Ignition fuse
I'd think disconnect the wiring, and then two mounting bolts to remove the regulator/rectifier. Depending on what model and year of 650, you may have single phase, three phase, or the excited field charging system. On some bikes, the regulator/rectifier may be mounted beneath the battery, so follow the wiring from the alternator, to the reg/rect.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Jun 2013 18:08 - 12 Jun 2013 18:10 #591984 by T_Lo
Replied by T_Lo on topic Ignition fuse
First of all, exuse me for my bad english. I`m from Sweden and just tryin´to contribute.
Early KZ650 had 3 phase stator with separate rectifier and regulator.
It was some years ago and it is possible to measure some difference between the diods but i can´t remember how i did it.
Maybe someone else can help you explain how to do it.
I don´t think it´s reparable.
Your KZ1000 has a combined rect/regulator.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2013 18:10 by T_Lo.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Jun 2013 21:44 #592024 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Ignition fuse
The problem is really simple. You are building heat do to resistance at the Fuse Clips in the Fuse Panel. You should replace the Fuse Panel. Recommend changing from the old AGX style of Fuse Panel to a new ATO/ ATC style of fuse panel. Replace any wire that has heat damage.
there is a wiring diagram for your model bike in "File Base". www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/260-z1000k1

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Jun 2013 12:19 #592415 by kfs
Got a chance to look into ignition fuse problems today; so I thought I would update post. A rectifier/regulator for my KZ1000 appears to be about $100. Before spending that much I thought it might be a good idea to confirm that it is bad. I had the bike running and checked fuse while running. It got too hot to touch in about 15 seconds. I put a volt meter across fuse motor off 12 volts; motor running @ about 3,000 rpm 15 volts.( don't know how accurate the cheap meter is). I thought if the fuse only got hot with motor running it would confirm bad rect /reg. Unfortunately when I turned the key to on position the fuse still gets hot in about 15 seconds; proving nothing. Have not found any burned wires yet or shorts. Have confirmed rect/reg is mounted underside of battery mount. Will update when I figure out anything else.

More
15 Jun 2013 12:24 - 15 Jun 2013 12:26 #592416 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Ignition fuse

kfs wrote: Got a chance to look into ignition fuse problems today; so I thought I would update post. A rectifier/regulator for my KZ1000 appears to be about $100. Before spending that much I thought it might be a good idea to confirm that it is bad. I had the bike running and checked fuse while running. It got too hot to touch in about 15 seconds. I put a volt meter across fuse motor off 12 volts; motor running @ about 3,000 rpm 15 volts.( don't know how accurate the cheap meter is). I thought if the fuse only got hot with motor running it would confirm bad rect /reg. Unfortunately when I turned the key to on position the fuse still gets hot in about 15 seconds; proving nothing. Have not found any burned wires yet or shorts. Have confirmed rect/reg is mounted underside of battery mount. Will update when I figure out anything else.

Why not simply run the diagnostic tests on the rectifier / regulator to determine if there are any problems there? Do you have a Kawasaki Service Manual? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2013 12:26 by 650ed.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jun 2013 13:12 #592423 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Ignition fuse

kfs wrote: Got a chance to look into ignition fuse problems today; so I thought I would update post. A rectifier/regulator for my KZ1000 appears to be about $100. Before spending that much I thought it might be a good idea to confirm that it is bad. I had the bike running and checked fuse while running. It got too hot to touch in about 15 seconds. I put a volt meter across fuse motor off 12 volts; motor running @ about 3,000 rpm 15 volts.( don't know how accurate the cheap meter is). I thought if the fuse only got hot with motor running it would confirm bad rect /reg. Unfortunately when I turned the key to on position the fuse still gets hot in about 15 seconds; proving nothing. Have not found any burned wires yet or shorts. Have confirmed rect/reg is mounted underside of battery mount. Will update when I figure out anything else.

Ok problem with thr high charging voltage is a simple fix. You have a 6 wire Regulator/ Rectifier. On the plug, you will see a Brown Wire. This Brown wire is the Voltage Sense wire for correct charging. It comes through the ignition switch. You have Got a Voltage Drop between Battery Voltage and this Brown wire. So the R/R just thinks the battery is low on volts, and makes up the difference.
So what you need to do is make the Voltage at this R/R connector nearly the same as what the battery is for it to charge correctly.
Highly doubt anything else is wrong with the charging system components.
I did a write up on this Brown wire a couple of years back.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Jun 2013 14:31 #592434 by kfs
Yes I have a service manual. Testing Reg/Rect Seemed to involve applying 12 & 24 volts. don't know how I would apply 24 volts. Not totally sure I followed completely what was involved.

More
15 Jun 2013 14:38 #592435 by kfs
How would I access that write up. I,m familiar with that brown wire; I had to repair ignition switch about 2 yrs. ago. What your saying is that the 15 volts I read at fuse while running is too high? I was suprised by the way to see only 1 Combination lead coming from fuse box. I expected individual leads for each fuse. But nothing appeared burned.