• The_Proletariat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
09 Jun 2013 22:21 #591514 by The_Proletariat
Dyna S not grounding coils was created by The_Proletariat
KZ550C3.

I have installed a Dyna S pickup and two green Dyna coils, 3 ohm.

I have followed the instructions exactly. My issue is I have no voltage from the green and black signal/ground wires from the Dyna pick ups. I have no voltage reading on my DMM, and my test light fails to light, no matter the position of the magnet on the advancer cam.

I have verified 12 volts from my splice into the yellow/red wire in the harness, and 12 volts through the Dyna supplied connector on the red power wire to the Dyna pickups. I have verified a good ground through the Dyna mounting plate, .3 ohms. I have verified infinite resistance between the Dyna mounting plate and the negative/signal leads to the coils. This issue is not a break in my harness, as I am probing the Dyna output wires at the end of the Dyna harness.

Also, my timing advancer has no "F" or advance mark on the 2-3 side, only a "T" mark. How exactly am I supposed to time the 2-3 pickup, if this bike ever starts?

I am eagerly awaiting any suggestions. I am missing out on prime riding weather.

Thank you.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Jun 2013 23:25 - 09 Jun 2013 23:59 #591529 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Dyna S not grounding coils
On the Dyna Site: www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support...Manuals/DynaSTSG.pdf
That's the trouble shooting they offer.
As far as timing the 2-3. Either a timing light with built in advance, or the use of a degree wheel. Best to use a degree wheel to find the same degree setting as the "F" mark on 1-4. Or another way would be to measure the length between the "F" and the "T" mark on 1-4 with a caliper, then make the same mark at the 2-3 location.
Also could set both statically, engine off, to the "T" marks first. Then rotate the plate so 1-4 fires at "F". This should make both equal.

There is also this current thread with good info from member OMR: www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/58902...-with-different-coil

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 09 Jun 2013 23:59 by Motor Head.

More
11 Jun 2013 20:02 - 11 Jun 2013 23:04 #591810 by kimsmith4807
Replied by kimsmith4807 on topic Dyna S not grounding coils
Had the same question for Dyna about the 2-3 marks. I don't have them on my advancer either. The pick ups are likely 180 degrees out from each other but to verify everything is dead on they had me do this. "With the rotor properly installed on the advancer, set the timing for 1-4 cylinders as per the installation guide using the TDC mark, not the advance mark. Do this by moving the dyna-s plate, not the module. Also, do not rotate the magnet/rotor. Let it stay closed. Once 1-4 is set reverse the magnet/rotor on the advancer (install it 180 degrees out) and set the 2-3 module to the same TDC mark as used for 1-4. This time move the 2-3 module and not the plate. This will place the modules 180 out from each other. Then, reinstall the magnet/rotor the correct way and set the timing using the fully advanced marks. This time moving the plate." I hope this helps. As far as your voltage loss, check your kill switch as this would disrupt the 12 volts to the coils. I've done this same upgrade and can work with you if you need another set of eyes on things. Connected to 12 volts switched right? With the keyswitch on when setting it statically? Got to cover all the simple things first. It's going to be something simple.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD
Last edit: 11 Jun 2013 23:04 by kimsmith4807.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
11 Jun 2013 22:14 #591840 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Dyna S not grounding coils
You know that your coils ARE SUPPOSED to be connected to the dyna for this test.... right?

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD