Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?

• Quietmerch64
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2013 14:43 - 07 Jun 2013 14:44 #591220 by Quietmerch64
Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit? was created by Quietmerch64
So heres the skinny:
I just bought a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750-E on which the headlight doesn't work properly. The guy I bought it from said that it started getting dim, then just didn't work one day. He had been using it by running the spare connectors in the headlight housing directly to the high beam, and removing the fuse when he didn't want to use it. Obviously this won't pass inspection. Ive been running through the system with my multimeter checking for continuity and have run into a problem. The low beam line doesn't have continuity to the battery, but the high beam does. I'm confused because it seems as though atleast the high beam should work, but since it doesn't I'm leaning to believe the reserve lighting unit is faulty. Any insight? Is this even possible?
Last edit: 07 Jun 2013 14:44 by Quietmerch64.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2013 15:09 #591222 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
Pardon my dumb question - my bike is older than your KZ750 so it doesn't have some of the later gadgets. What is a "reserve lighting unit?" Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Quietmerch64
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2013 20:09 #591260 by Quietmerch64
Replied by Quietmerch64 on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
Its basically a relay that all the lighting connects to so if there is a failure, a warning light will turn on.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Jun 2013 21:03 #591264 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
Actually a fail safe, turns on the other beam when one burns out, low goes, high turns on.
Here is a wiring diagram in "File Base" here on kZR. www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/311-z750e3
Don't forget the ground, which is black/ yellow. Power and ground to the head light.
Using the diagram you'll see where to test. Could be a bad switch, bad ground, or connection in the head light bucket.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• Quietmerch64
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jun 2013 21:12 #591268 by Quietmerch64
I ran through the diagram yesterday, the ground has continuity to the chassis, and the high beam line has continuity back to the positive feed when the switch is in the proper posistion. I tested the switch, it works as its supposed to, the reason I'm thinking its the RLU is because its the only thing between the switch and the fuse box.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Jun 2013 21:20 #591269 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
It can be UN-plugged and by-passed for testing purposes. Remember, a continuity check will not show a bad connection like a test with a current pulling device, like a test light. I would use the head light its self, with some jumper wires. As it will pull over 4 amps when lit. A continuity check will only put a small voltage, and almost no amperage through the circuit.
Load it to be sure of the connection, and voltage drop when under load is also very important.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
07 Jun 2013 23:07 #591284 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
Remove the RLU, then jumper the blue wire to the blue/yellow wire on the RLU harness connector. That will bypass the RLU.

More
07 Jun 2013 23:12 #591285 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight problem, reserve lighting unit?
Interesting! Thanks for the info. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Quietmerch64
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2013 08:01 #591725 by Quietmerch64
Thank you Motor Head and loudhvx! I jumped the wires as suggested and the headlight works perfectly. I ordered a new one and am anxiously waiting!