ignition resistance

More
03 Jun 2013 17:10 #590685 by 79shaft
ignition resistance was created by 79shaft
Does anyone know why they put resistance in the secondary when they switched to electronic ignition? They seemed to do it across the board, automotive as well as bikes. I'm well versed on this stuff but have never understood this. Ether resistor plugs or resister wires. What are the drawbacks to removing the resistance (boots in my case) from the circuit? My bike is stock 70 1000 shaft with factory ignition. when it runs its' great, but getting it started is tough, the spark is a weak orange color thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 17:52 #590695 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic ignition resistance
Have you checked the ignition coils themselves? Most are 3 ohms, some older Kawasaki's had 4 ohm coils. The 5000 ohm resistor in the sparkplug caps help control the pops and crackle heard on radios and TV's when the sparkplugs fire. How old are your ignition coils? even when new, they were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in stop and go traffic, and now they could strand you someday.

If in doubt, replace the ignition coils,sparkplug wires(the copper conductor types are the best)and if you want, the sparkplug caps. Never use resistor plugs, along with resistive sparkplug wires(the carbon fiber type)as now you have the chance to reduce the spark energy. www.z1enterprises.com sells the Dyna resistive and non resistive sparkplug wires, along with the popular green 3 ohm ignition coils.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
03 Jun 2013 20:34 #590710 by 79shaft
Replied by 79shaft on topic ignition resistance
Thanks I figured it was EMI, but wanted some input. I have some other coils I will try. Thanks again. Love F-4s

More
03 Jun 2013 23:24 #590746 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic ignition resistance
I'd be concerned if your bike had FI, but I don't see any reason not to use sparkplug wires with no resistance in the caps. If the resistor isn't there, how can it fail, and possibly strand you someday? I don't remember when it was, but a forum member was using resistor plugs, along with the resistor sparkplug caps, and could not figure out why his spark was so weak. It took some presuation from the other members to convince him use one or the other, not both for a better spark.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)