One coil, only one cylinder fires

More
30 May 2013 13:30 #589931 by KZCool
One coil, only one cylinder fires was created by KZCool
I have a 76 KZ750 with a Dyna S ignition and a dyna 3 ohm coil, the green one. It has two outputs and for some reason one isn't firing. I switched the input and output wires separately and its still the same output not firing. Its the wasted spark system so I dont see how it could be anything with the dyna s system if the other is still firing. But when I pull off the coil and test it, all resistances are good. Im totally in the ark on this one. And does anyone know if I should be using the original resistor caps with this? Im using 7mm coper wire with non-resistor boots and stock plugs, b8es. switched the plugs too and no go.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 15:31 #589945 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic One coil, only one cylinder fires
"BUMP"

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
30 May 2013 19:10 #589976 by steell
Replied by steell on topic One coil, only one cylinder fires
I think you should use good resister caps, but others differ.

If you're only getting spark from one side of the coil, then either the coil is shorted to ground internally, or the spark plug/wire of the non-firing side is shorted to ground somewhere.

KD9JUR

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 May 2013 21:21 #589995 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic One coil, only one cylinder fires
750 twin, one ignition coil?
Spark on only one of two spark plugs, or it just doesn't run on one cylinder? Does it run on either if you swap the spark plug wires over to the other plug? So for sure both cylinders will run, just not both at the same time?
Bad coil or plug wire.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
30 May 2013 22:18 #590014 by KZCool
yes just spark. Either cylinder will fire if I switch the coil lead. Its definitely not the wire because I checked its resistance and its 0.0 and Ive switched the wires, plugs, everything I can think of, but still only one of the output terminals is not working. Its a wasted spark system so the one coil fires both plugs at once. Im thinking maybe a short off of the lead or something since the coil tests fine and its less than a year old.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

• Motor Head
  • User
More
30 May 2013 22:35 #590019 by Motor Head
If you have switched both the plug wires and the plugs, and still one side has no spark. I would say coil. It will act differently under voltage than an Ohm test.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
30 May 2013 22:57 #590022 by KZCool
Thanks, I sent a message to Z1. I hope they have some kind of one year warranty or something. If not Im not buying through them again. my old coil lasted over thirty years!!!! And this one not even one? Just keeping my fingers crossed hat they are fair about this.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

• Motor Head
  • User
More
31 May 2013 00:53 #590045 by Motor Head
Might also have a look here, at Dyna's web site.
www.dynaonline.com/skins/warranty/