Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S problems with different coil 20 Jun 2013 09:22 #593199

• high toned son of a bitch
  • high toned son of a bitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
well I got my new system, and ran into another snag. I don't have any of the springs/advance mechanism stuff. When I pull my pickup sensors out, all I have is a aluminum plate with the magnet bolted to it. The aluminum plate has some dimples in it, I assume this is a locked out timing system?

Sorry I can't give you guys more info/correct terms, I am not that familiar with bike parts. MOre of a car guy. But learning.

This bike is an old dragbike, so some of the things on it may not be suitable for street use I am thinking? I know on some of our racecars we have ran locked out timing and you wouldn't want to run them everyday on the street.

The instructions with the Dyna S kit didn't mention anything about this plate. It says to hold the springs advance in the full position to time it, etc. etc. I am having problems getting it to run correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S problems with different coil 20 Jun 2013 09:46 #593204

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
If you got it to run. I would use a timing light to set the timing. Do you have the Kawasaki Factory timing Marks? Otherwise you may need to Make some marks. You can Find TDC, and mark that, and degree wheel out to 10, and 40 degrees advance. Then you have a Idle setting of 10, and check that your not over 40 full advance.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Dyna S problems with different coil 20 Jun 2013 12:06 #593216

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

high toned son of a bitch wrote: well I got my new system, and ran into another snag. I don't have any of the springs/advance mechanism stuff. When I pull my pickup sensors out, all I have is a aluminum plate with the magnet bolted to it. The aluminum plate has some dimples in it, I assume this is a locked out timing system?

Sorry I can't give you guys more info/correct terms, I am not that familiar with bike parts. MOre of a car guy. But learning.

This bike is an old dragbike, so some of the things on it may not be suitable for street use I am thinking? I know on some of our racecars we have ran locked out timing and you wouldn't want to run them everyday on the street.

The instructions with the Dyna S kit didn't mention anything about this plate. It says to hold the springs advance in the full position to time it, etc. etc. I am having problems getting it to run correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds like the centrifigal (sp?) advancer is missing. It'll never run right without it 'cept on the drag strip.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Dyna S problems with different coil 20 Jun 2013 13:54 #593228

• high toned son of a bitch
  • high toned son of a bitch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes TomW, after looking at the pics that OldManRock posted, it looks like I don't have any advancer mechanism. WHere that "should" be, I just have an aluminum plate with some dimples on it.

So that means that I have pretty much a locked out timing system? It ran good when I first got it years ago, but I didn't really ride it. Just to the end of my driveway and the front brake started to drag. After that I ended up tearing it apart to do the suspension swap, and I am just now getting it back on the road.

I don't know what all has been done to the motor. It has a MRE clutch cover, it "had" a set of flatslide carbs and a bigger than usual header on it. Aftermarket sprockets, etc. etc.

When I bought it, roughly 6 years ago, it had been asleep for about 10 years. All the guy told me was "IT's an ol' dragbike". He didn't really seem like he wanted/or knew a whole lot about it.

Dyna S problems with different coil 20 Jun 2013 14:15 #593232

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Two places to ask: www.z1enterprises.com and www.aperaceparts.com about help.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Page: