replaced starter solenoid, still no response from

• alextryonpdx
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 May 2013 19:06 #589787 by alextryonpdx
1984 kz550 here.
My bike started having trouble starting a little while ago. Every so often the starter switch would have no effect, eventually it stopped working entirely. I was able to start the bike easily by bridging the terminals on the solenoid so i replaced the solenoid. After installing a brand new solenoid, the starter button still has no effect. The connections dont look corroded or fried (on the handlebars, connection in the headlight, battery terminals, and bullet connectors). Not sure how to go about looking for faults without tearing the wire harness apart. It seems like it has to be somewhere before the solenoid itself because i am able to bridge the terminals and start the bike. any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2013 20:00 #589796 by 650ed
You may want to check out the clutch lockout switch at the clutch lever and its related wiring. If that switch fails the starter button won't trigger the starter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 May 2013 20:41 #589805 by MFolks
Check the wiring inside the headlight for corrosion in the connectors. I believe there are two BLACK wires going to the clutch interlock switch, that go to/come from the mainharness.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)