KZ Power Outage

More
22 May 2013 00:42 #588663 by Dasant
KZ Power Outage was created by Dasant
I took my KZ1000 out for a 20 mile ride this past Sunday. The weather was not the best and there was a light mist of rain coming down for at least 50% of the ride. When I came home, I parked the bike in front of my shed. I left the bike idling while I opened the doors then proceeded to check my turn signals, which were fine. I wanted to put away my gloves instead of putting them back on just to pull the bike in the shed. So I turned and started to walk toward the shed and the bike stalled. I thought it just stalled because the idle went too low. However, when I tried to start it I realized that the neutral indicator light was not on and after making sure the bike was in neutral, I found that the bike had no power at all. I subsequently checked the battery and fuses and they are all fine. Has anybody ever had this happen to their KZ and what did you find caused the problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2013 00:46 #588666 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic KZ Power Outage
I am as we speak trying to figure out a similar situationm no power anywhere all fused good
mine is either wiring in headlight or switch (assuming)

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
22 May 2013 00:50 #588667 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ Power Outage
How old are the fuses? I make a note of replacing the glass tubed fuses on my bike once a year, as current surges will weaken/break the fuse element, making it unreliable. The stock fuses are AGX in size, available at most auto parts stores and boating supply places.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dasant

More
22 May 2013 00:57 #588670 by Dasant
Replied by Dasant on topic KZ Power Outage
Did yours cut out suddenly too? I am just glad it waited to go when I was already home.

More
22 May 2013 01:00 #588672 by Dasant
The fuses are probably original, but I switched them out with spare fuses and checked them all with a test light and they all conducted electricity.

More
22 May 2013 02:56 - 22 May 2013 02:59 #588689 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ Power Outage
Could be a fried battery. The bike runs on the alternator until the RPMs drop and then the battery has to run it. If the battery can't handle the load, the bike dies.

Could also be bad battery connections, ignition switch, harness connectors. Anywhere the main power comes into the circuitry.

The ignition switch failed on mine and it was just like yours: running fine then suddenly stone dead coasting to a stop with no power or lights.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 May 2013 02:59 by bountyhunter.

More
22 May 2013 02:57 #588690 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ Power Outage

Dasant wrote: The fuses are probably original, but I switched them out with spare fuses and checked them all with a test light and they all conducted electricity.

They should all be replaced anyway.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 May 2013 22:31 #588817 by Dasant
I am thinking it is probably the ignition switch - since your bike had the symptoms. Also the switch has been a little quirky since I got the bike. If I turned it straight up everything was fine if I went all the way to the right the bike would cut out. What is supposed to happen normally when the key is all the way to the right at the third setting anyway?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 May 2013 22:43 #588820 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ Power Outage
All the way to the right on your ignition switch should be the Parking Lights setting.
Have a Look in "File Base" here on KZR, upper right hand corner of the page in the Tool bar. Look under your model for a wiring diagram. It should be there.
So you have Power with a Test Light across the Main Fuse? So then you should have power up to the connector at the ignition switch, white wire.
One fellow member had a loose connection in the headlight bucket, and another near the battery to fuse panel red/ white connection.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
27 May 2013 22:46 #589508 by Dasant
I would like to thank all of the members who responded to my post. I would like to also update them on the resolution of my electrical problem. It was the ignition switch! I replaced the ignition switch today and the power came back! I would also like to thank Z1 Enterprises for the fast processing and shipping of my order. I ordered the part on May 23rd and the had a box on my doorstep by May 25th - using USPS Priority mail!