• Page:

TOPIC:

Running on 2 cyl. ARRGH!!!! 02 Jul 2006 19:33 #58805

• IowaKZ
  • IowaKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
Last week I finally got some time so I decided to put on my new handlebars. This is a '80 G1 Classic and I got a set of "original type" bars to replace the K&Ns on it.

Then yesterday, I spent 1/2 the day putting on some new crash bars. Had to buy a threaded rod because the original bolt wasn't quite long enough. During this process the engine slid down a little on the right because when I started to bolt everything back together, one of the holes on the bottom right wouldn't line up. Finally with my WIFE'S HELP, I was able to get it bolted up. She is now the only one in the house legally qualified to own a KZ and be a member here, but that's another story.

Today I changed the oil and filter.

After I got her all cleaned up, I tried to start it up and it was running really really rough.

I am running the fuel injection, so instead of a choke, I have a 'fast idle' lever. When it was on fast idle, it barely ran and when I took it off, it died.

I let it warm up, but it wouldn't get better. I checked for oil leaks and found none (not that that would lead to bad running).

I remember several people (I think WG) that said to try water on the exhaust pipes to see which one's (if any) were not running.

So I did this and found out that 2 & 3 are not firing. To be more specific, they are not getting hot. Water is dripping off the pipes, not evaporating.

Now I need to go back thru the posts and find which things to try first. I think (hope) that when I was changing the bars, I pulled a wire out. I had to twist and crank on the cables and wires to get everything on. I thought I was being careful, but I must have screwed something up.

So instead of a ride tonight, I am typing this and watching 'National Treasure' for the 14th time. Tomorrow I start to investigate in earnest.

Thanks to all your help, I am hopeful that I will be able to track this down quickly. Since it was running fine before, I am hopeful that it was something I did and something I can fix.

Dale
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Running on 2 cyl. ARRGH!!!! 03 Jul 2006 07:28 #58892

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Dale, Here is what I would do... it will require a multimeter:

1. check voltage at coils. If you have no voltage on one coil, the wire that connects the coil to the dual oulet plug over your valve cover is loose, disconnected or otherwise the location of your problem.

2. If both coils are powered, check wiring connection from your pickup coils to your ignitor. There should be a large connector. Take it apart, clean and reconnect. Then check the wires coming out of the ignitor going to the coils. Make sure these are all tight and connected. They may go through another connector.

3. If everything looks tight, you have narrowed your problem to either a bad pickup coil OR a bad ignitor. The 2/3 pickup coil is on the right as you face the points cover. You will need a Kaw Factory Service Manual at this point as you will need to perform electrical tests on the ignitor and pickup coil.

4. There is a possibility that the coil itself is fried. To test, put the multimeter in OHMS and lowest scale. Put the leads on the two input lugs on each coil. I am not sure if you have an inline ballast resistor or not on your bike. If you do, it will be about 3 inches long and a white ceramic material. Your power to the coils will be going through it. It adds resistance. Your coils should measure about 2.5 Ohms resistance I think, if you have a ballast resistor in line OR about 3.5 Ohms resistance if you don't. Again, a manual would be handy. If you find something significantly different, check back in... your coil may be shorted. Compare the 1/4 coil to the 2/3. If you touch the leads on the metal that connects to the spark plugs, and put the meter on 20K Ohms scale, you should get between 13K and 18K Ohms. The first test checks the primary windings for a short and the second test tests the secondary windings for a short.

To sum, you either have:
1. no power becuase of a bad connection
2. a loose wire somewhere between pickup coils and coil
3. bad pickup coil
4. bad ignitor
5. bad coil
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Running on 2 cyl. ARRGH!!!! 03 Jul 2006 08:19 #58901

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Take off the tank and follow the coil power wires to where they both plug in to a single connector, chances are the wire for the #2 and #3 coil has come unplugged there.
KD9JUR

Running on 2 cyl. ARRGH!!!! 03 Jul 2006 10:43 #58941

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
Thanks again guys. I am going to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I was going to try and to trouble shoot it tonight, but I need to fix 2 leaky toilets. Depending on how stubborn they are, I might not have any time.

Luckily, I will be celebrating our country's independence tomorrow. My wife wants to stain the deck. That should take all morning. Then I have the afternoon to play.

I have a good excuse to work on the bike: She wants to have a garage sale in 2 weeks so I need to get my bike + all my other projects done so I can clean out the garage (wishful thinking:laugh: ).

I'll take off the tank and let you know what I find. I knew I would have to do it, but I was too fried yesterday.
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Running on 2 cyl. ARRGH!!!! UPDATE -- GREAT NEWS 06 Jul 2006 19:44 #59792

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
First of all thanks to everyone who helped. WG, Steell, and especially Tripp.

As it turns out, when I was putting on my engine guards, I pinched one wire leading from the primary coil to the igniter.

I found the location by pulling the wire all the way out and inspecting. I found the break. Soldered in a new piece and wrapped it up with black tape. Then I threaded it back through and checked for a spark on #2.

After I verified that I had everything working, I went ahead and put in the new plugs I had.

Then...I fired it up. After adjusting the idle (because that was one more thing I messed up trying to diagnose this), it ran great. In fact it sounds better and has more power now than before I started messing around.

In talking with Tripp and reading the advice I was able to fix this myself and learn a lot more about my bike along the way.

Thanks again for all your help. This is why this forum is so great. Everyone helps everyone out to keep these great bikes on the road. I can't stop smiling. I was really down about 2 days ago.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thank you thank you thank you
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

• Page: