Bike Wont Turn Over!!

More
15 May 2013 23:27 #587641 by dude_717
Bike Wont Turn Over!! was created by dude_717
So i have been cleaning up and going over my 1981 Kz750 E and after playing with the starter and cleaning the carbs and thinking i had figured out why the plugs were not getting spark the bike won't turn over. I had replaced the ignition box thinking that would solve the no spark problem. The bike turned over fine before that. I washed the bike and wiped her dry while waiting for my ignition box to arrive. So all i have done sense the last time it would turn over was wash it and replace the ignition box. When i hook the old one back up it still dosn't turn over. What could possible be the problem? The clutch is pulled in and the clutch trigger seems to look good. The only thing i have not looked at now is the start button. I have also gone through all the wires to make sure it was all clean and hook ups were good. Please help!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 May 2013 23:34 #587645 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bike Wont Turn Over!!
At your starter solenoid, check for power and ground at the two small wires. You should get power when the start button is pushed, and the clutch pulled in. If not see if you have good fuses. Could be that you got a switch wet. Also make sure your battery is good/ charged.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 May 2013 23:39 #587647 by dude_717
Replied by dude_717 on topic Bike Wont Turn Over!!
Hey motorhead, i did check for power on the two main solenoid wires but not the small ones. All the fuses were good when i checked them. Battery may be a small issue, it charges up fine but i have a broken terminal on the positive side but was giving good juice before all this. The switch is the only thing i have not checked. Thanks for the comment.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 May 2013 23:44 #587651 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Bike Wont Turn Over!!
If you go to your solenoid, and use say a socket extension across the two posts on the solenoid it should spin over. This way you bypass all of the switched power, just using the battery cables to spin the starter/ motor over. This will confirm battery power, starter motor, battery connection. Then you will know if you need to look into the switched side.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 May 2013 23:54 #587653 by dude_717
Thanks will give that try and see what happens. Will repost with results

More
17 May 2013 03:12 #587856 by dude_717
Thank you so much for the advice, worked like a charm. Finally after three weeks of all kinds of problems to figure out the bike is running. The electric start was not working b/c someone had put on led turn signals before me and wired them wrong so it had grounded out wrong some how, but got that all fixed and she starts up first push every time now. Thanks again motor head.