Headlight is out - KZ750 spectre 1982

More
12 May 2013 13:49 #587027 by Hawk111
Headlight is out - KZ750 spectre 1982 was created by Hawk111
Anybody know where I can get a tutorial on how to learn Motorcycle Electrical.
I'd like to find a book that teaches me to read electrical diagramming and how to
diagnose and use a multimeter. I just had my mechanic come over and test different areas
for voltage and resistance, but he threw his hands up and said he didn't want to
redo a whole wiring harness. I suppose I am suppose to check for voltage as a current
but not sure why to check ohms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2013 21:55 #587082 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight is out - KZ750 spectre 1982
If you really want to gain an understanding of motorcycle (automotive) electronics you may want to enroll in a class on the subject at a community college. You would end up with a sound understanding of the subject that would enable you to troubleshoot your (or other ) bike's electrical systems. If you took such a course (and there may be some that can be taken online) and used the Kawasaki Service Manual as a guide you should be able to test and correct any of the electrical components on your bike. Here's just a sample below. Ed

www.clovis.edu/ot/blairp/courses/AT100/index.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 May 2013 22:19 - 12 May 2013 22:20 #587088 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Headlight is out - KZ750 spectre 1982
Youtube videos are handy. There are plenty of them that show how to use a multimeter. Or do an internet search for "How to use a multimeter". Get a digital unit. I use a VC97 - it seems to be good one - the robotroom reviewed a number of meters.

As for your headlight, I would check the fuses & the headlight bulb. The Spectre probably has an H4 lamp. The fuse box may have one position labeled "Headlight" - my 81 650 does. If those things check out, the manual probably has a troubleshooting procedure for testing the various components of the headlight circuit.

If you don't have a manual, search ebbaayy for KZ750 Shaft manual. The Kawasaki service manual is preferable.
Last edit: 12 May 2013 22:20 by martin_csr.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 May 2013 23:32 #587110 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Headlight is out - KZ750 spectre 1982
Several of the guys here can walk you through checking your headlight. You do have a meter right? So it will be pretty easy for some basic checks.
Doubt you need a new wiring harness.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...