need help with wireing

• tabsman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • canada
More
08 May 2013 10:44 - 08 May 2013 12:44 #586306 by tabsman
need help with wireing was created by tabsman
1978 kz650 b2-c2 series she has new condensers and coils and points and what is the blue wire that comes out of the plate the points are on but still nothing i need some one that knows these bikes as all my friends that i know cant figure it out so i need to have what i have built to fire up its complete just waiting on this issue
does the lights need to be hooked up and if i take the points off and touch with a light tester they have power to them but when put back on the plate nothing

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img

[img
Last edit: 08 May 2013 12:44 by tabsman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2013 14:32 #586347 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic need help with wireing
Do have, or can get a wiring diagram? Kawasaki ones are color coded, but for a long time, the Clymer, and others were printed in black and white, making it difficult to figure out. The website www.kz650.com should have someone to help you there.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tabsman

• tabsman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • canada
More
08 May 2013 15:57 #586355 by tabsman
Replied by tabsman on topic need help with wireing
the site is down but this is what i have and here is what i know we got the tail lites (brake)working i get power from the way its wired to the points ONLY if they arent on the plate once i put them or touch them to the plate it dies but as far as i can tell its right but im trying to redo and replace old wires that are there but it seems something is missing im new to this but im good at figureing things out by trial and error but now im stumped and relying on you good people
[img

More
08 May 2013 16:10 #586359 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic need help with wireing
My understanding of the way the ignition points work, is that once they open, the magnetic field(s) inside the ignition coils collapse, producing a large secondary pulse, jumping the gap on the sparkplugs. I'd look carefully at your ignition points; I think one or more insulation washers is missing, grounding out when the point plate is installed. For a rough point gap, a business card will get the engine running.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
08 May 2013 17:38 - 08 May 2013 18:04 #586383 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic need help with wireing
The blue wire (or blue/red) comes from the oil pressure switch sitting behind the points plate and connects to a warning light in the dash.

As for the points, the left (rear) set of points fires cylinder 1 and 4, the right (front) set fires cylinder 2 and 3 - cylinders are counted left to right as sitting on the bike.

With ignition off or battey disconnected just for safety try this:

Connect the spark plug leads from one coil to cylinder 1 and 4 and the spark plug leads from the other coil to cylinder 2 and 3.

Connect the points wire from the right set of points (black) to the coil connected to cylinder 1 and 4, and the wire from the right set of points (green) to the coil connected to cylinder 2 and 3.

Using the large 17 mm nut on the end of the crankshaft, rotate the engine until the points cam lobe opens one set of points to the max and adjust the points gap to 0.4 mm / 0.015", then repeat the procedure for the other set of points.

If you disconnected the battery, reconnect it and check that you have switched 12V going to the primary side of each coil (red/yellow wire connected to the small lug next to the lugs where you connected each points wire).

You should now be in the ballpark and the bike should at least attempt to fire. Next up is timing, 650Ed provided good instructions here. (not sure, but you may need to register to see the pics). I believe that is the site MFolks was linking to, only its kz650.info , not .com

Btw, just a heads-up, it's generally not considered a good idea to start a bike with no headers installed.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 08 May 2013 18:04 by OnkelB.

• tabsman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • canada
More
08 May 2013 22:38 #586455 by tabsman
thanks guys tried some different things not seeming to get any further yet. had couple more questions, wondering if brake/headlight and or signals would have to be hooked up to get complete spark. Had couple people say our coils are getting to hot, should they heat up withing 2-5 minutes they are extremely hot kinda worried about wrecking them or melting something. only happens when key is on but bike is not started. Gonna try some more of your guys suggestions see if im missing anything. Thanks alot again appreciated for sure

More
08 May 2013 22:45 #586459 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic need help with wireing
Your coils and spark plug wires may be hooked up wrong. In the picture it looks like you have wires from the left coil going to spark plugs #1 and #2 ? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• tabsman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • canada
More
08 May 2013 23:29 #586466 by tabsman
thanks will swap it out and let you know if you need more close up pics i will post them just let me know thanks for the help

• tabsman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • canada
More
10 May 2013 13:14 #586734 by tabsman
good news guys i got it running it was the condensors and the wires were grounding thanks for the help