Horn doesn't work **** W/ Solution!******

More
02 May 2013 21:07 - 03 May 2013 21:32 #585333 by jbeebe1
For some reason my horn is giving me such a hard time haha.

I'm trying to get it working.

It's getting 12V of power.

I think the handlebar button just connects the ground of it, when I push the button I get about 0.7V across the horn's terminals. I tried connecting the horn's ground terminal straight to the frame with an extra wire, and still nothing.

Does it have to be the horn itself? I mean, it's getting power, and I grounded the heck out of it straight to the frame...i'm no electrical expert, but it seems like something has to be wrong with the horn itself.

I took it apart but the 1920's technology stumped me. Everything looked ok I suppose.

Any one else want to spend a few minutes devoting brain power towards this so I can take a break? Thanks!

I'll also include a random picture to motivate people to respond, everyone hates threads without pics....

[IMG

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70
others coming in and out all the time!
Last edit: 03 May 2013 21:32 by jbeebe1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 May 2013 22:06 #585340 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic A horn....how difficult could it be?
If you for sure have a good 12v power lead to one horn terminal and for sure one to a good clean ground and the horn does nothing its dead.
To test your connections just use a spare head light bulb that works, and hook it across the normal horn location wires. It should light right up when you press the button, key on of course.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
02 May 2013 22:08 #585342 by jbeebe1
Replied by jbeebe1 on topic A horn....how difficult could it be?
that's what I thought, I just didn't know if these simple old horns go bad at all

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70

More
03 May 2013 21:31 #585518 by jbeebe1
Replied by jbeebe1 on topic Horn doesn't work ***w/ solution****
Solved:

I got a new horn and put it on...still no beep. "dang" I thought.

So i took apart the switch housing again and took out the internals. I stared at it for another 10 minutes and had an epiphany....

Only one ground wire is coming into the housing....that means it grounds on the housing itself! and therefore, on the handlebars. Well don't ya know, my handlebars are painted black!

A few minutes to sand down a little section under the housing and bingo-bango, she goes beep.

79 Honda 400 Hondamatic
79 Honda CB650
81 Honda CX500
81 Honda Passport C70