Bare minimum to get an engine running?

More
02 May 2013 00:59 #585218 by magruder13
Bare minimum to get an engine running? was created by magruder13
Hey all,

When I bought my '77 KZ 750 the PO gave me an extra free engine. Although it's really dirty, like REALLY DIRTY, the only mechanical problem (or so he says) is that the PO (before him) broke off a carb mounting bolt (the one that holds the black collars onto the engine) in the head. I looked at it, it looks like I could get it out, or drill it out. My dad's a mechanic, so he has plenty of ideas on what to do.

ANYWAY, I'll get to my point. If I replace the bolt, and get some carbs, what electrically do I need to get it running? When it comes to an engines electronics, I'm pretty stupid (although I am an electrical engineering student) so please be very descriptive and complete in your definitions, I won't be offended.

I know I should start with some spark plugs and coils!

Thanks!

1982 Honda XL125S
1972 Yamaha TX750 (CB750 engine)
1976 Kawasaki KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2013 01:08 #585220 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bare minimum to get an engine running?
I do not recommend trying to drill the broken bolt out. If there is anything sticking out out all soak the bolt with Kroil for a few days then grab it with Vise-Grips and twist it out. If there is nothing at all to grab check with machinists in your area to see if they do EDM. See link below for EDM description. Ed

www.brokentap.com/services.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.