Motogadget M-Unit an option

More
01 May 2013 12:59 #585108 by gwolever
Motogadget M-Unit an option was created by gwolever
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted. As some might remember over the past year and a half, I have rebuilt my CSR and added a few new parts.

I had her all together late last fall and she started up with not much of a problem (still have to adjust the carbs).

The only problem I had was with the fuses. I put her all back together using the original wire harness, ignition switch, fuse box, etc. But I did put on a new headlight and LED turn signals (which were all missing when I bought it), new LED integrated tail light, and a digital Acewell speedo/tach.

I have seen various KZ owners' threads and pics of the same equipment that I am using, and they have been able to work successfully. But everytime I turn on the ignition, the turn signal fuse turns bright orange and burns out within a few seconds.

I can do body and engine, but I am no wiring expert. I have only tried what people who have experience with this stuff had told me to try to fix this situation. Now I just want to be done with the wiring and ride since the bike is running.

So I have tried to get my bike in to a couple of places for electrical work. Some are too busy and booked, some say it is going to be rather pricey at about $80/hr labor, and even tried Redline in nearby Chicago but was told they would do it if I put all the stock stuff back on...and even then it would be pretty expensive.

So my final solution is to buy the Motogadget M-unit. I have heard that installing this and creating a new harness from a kit they sell will allow me to not even worry about the old fuse box. I believe it was Boostable who had some great pics and wiring diagrams that he used with his. I also like the M-Lock that they sell to bypass the ignition. I know it is expensive, but I would rather spend the money and have the bike to ride rather than tinkering with the old stuff without the proper knowledge to get the problem resolved (or paying someone else an arm and a leg to do it for me whenever they can try to fit me in).

Has anybody had any experience with these components and have any advice for me before I order this stuff?

I've read too where someone bought an aftermarket headlight and had to buy one of Motogadget's relays for it. The M-Unit thought there was too much current going to the headlight and was automatically shutting it down. That is the type of stuff I'm sure the company I buy it from will tell me about, but I would like to hear anything you guys know or have heard about this setup.

Thanks for your time and input.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2013 17:19 #585141 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Motogadget M-Unit an option
It's obvious you've reach the frustration point, but you can solve this. A wiring diagram would definitely help, but there's some basics you can try to start.
The fuse is there to protect the bike's wiring from melting due to excessive current draw. Typically this would be from a short, but it could be any of the aftermarket parts you've added or reversed wiring. Start by unplugging all of them and see if the fuse still fails. If it does, you've got a short in your wiring harness. Hopefully you'll be able to spot the problem (frayed bare wire) with a visual inspection. If not, at least you can tell the shop a specific area to check. This will reduced the hours (costs) to fix it. If the fuse doesn't blow, start adding devices one by one until the problem reappears. You mentioned that the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key. Think about what items come on with the key and start with them. You specifically mentioned turn signals. Unless they were wired reverse, they're not in the circuit until you activate the turn signal switch.
Get a pack of fuses, a cold beverage of your choice, clear your head and spend an hour on your bike. You might surprise yourself. Check back if you hit a dead end and good luck.

More
02 May 2013 11:33 #585276 by gwolever
Replied by gwolever on topic Motogadget M-Unit an option
Thanks for the advice...especially the cold beverage, cuz I think I'll need it!

1982 KZ1000 CSR

More
02 May 2013 21:01 #585332 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Motogadget M-Unit an option
Loudhvx (Lou) lives in Chicago, and in addition to being a professional electronics guy, he's also a good dude. Send him a PM and see if he can help out.

KD9JUR

More
04 May 2013 13:20 #585616 by gwolever
Well. I got my beverages for my wiring work today and only got through my first beer. First thing I unplugged to find the short that was blowing my fuse was my aftermarket tail light. Bingo. No more blown fuse. This is the first time I got to see my new Acewell turn on and light up. Pretty excited.

I'm not wasting my 12 pack though. I know it's a little early to start drinking, but gonna keep drinking and finish up my wiring. Working on heat shrink tubing sounds like a much more relaxing task to do while drinking than figuring out a short in the wiring harness.

Thanks for all the help! I'll keep ya posted as I finally finish the project.

1982 KZ1000 CSR

More
06 May 2013 17:25 #586011 by gwolever
Got my new LED tail light/turn signal indicator hooked up correctly and everything is working fine so far.

I can't believe the wiring instructions for it on Ebay were incorrect...who would do such a thing...Ha!

So all my turn signals blink correctly, the brake light works, the rear and front running lights work correctly, the low and high beam work, the hazards work, and my horn. Plus, all the indicators on my digital Acewell light up like they should too.

Keeping my fingers crossed as I finish the project.

Thanks for the advice guys.

1982 KZ1000 CSR